Kasen's Kouch

When I was 13 years old, I would have the same nightmare every night. My parents would be talking about leaving me and every time I tried to talk my words would fail to reach their ears. It has been three days since Alex left me for New York and the conversation has taken a toll on my emotions.

Dr. Reese shared with me to lean on my support system, however, I think I am suffocating Kasen and his couch.

"You smell..." He groaned and I sighed.

"Kasen, I just got left high and dry by the someone I love and cared for again. Carter and I have been slow as of late and I have only looked at one house since and no real estate agent. My heart is empty and so is the ice cream." I whined.

Kasen handed me more ice cream and sat beside me.

"Alex was a loser anyways and you have been avoiding Carter." He said and I put my head on his shoulder.

"How much of a loser?" I asked and he laughed.

"A massive loser." He said and rubbed my shoulder as I cried my eyes out.

Carter has been over here a few times since I haven't been keeping up with the phone appointments that er set up, however, Kasen answers the door and tells him I am not ready.

"You know not everyone is like our parents. Some people are like me. They can love you consistently." He said and I sighed.

"Was it hard for you?" I asked and Kasen smiled.

"I got a call from the hospital when the neighbor found you crying in the house alone. I flew back from college, and I saw your face. I knew then that I had to decide. I decided to be there for you because I did not know where mom and dad were. I did not know why they left you alone in the house. I just knew what I had to do." Kasen said and looked at me with the same loving eyes he did that day.

"Maybe, you are all I have Kasen. Love seems far away. You are here and you always have been." I cried.

"So, you are just going to be a cool aunt?"

I sighed. "No, I want children and I want to be someone's annoying wife."

Kasen laughed and then got quiet. "I didn't for a long time..."

I looked at him shocked. "Wait... are you serious?"

It was more of a confession because Kasen was one of the most family-oriented people that I know. I guess that made sense especially because he didn't want me to feel like I was missing anything.

"When you were young, Dad asked mom to renew their vows. Mom said no because the only thing binding them together was us. I just thought it was a binding contract. Then I took care of you and realized how much I wanted to share our family." Kasen thoroughly explained.

"Sometimes I do not think I deserve love, or I have to dull who I am to be acceptable... I mean if your own parents leave you in a house alone doesn't that mean something." I confessed as well.

"Yes, it means our parents are inadequate that has nothing to do with you being loved properly or being lovable," Kasen responded.

I dug into my ice cream. "Why do I love people who never make room for me?"

"Because you do not know your worth yet, so you dull who you are to get in a room with average men. You aren't average Serenity." Kasen answered swiftly.

"I love you, Kasen. Sierra is so lucky." I cried.

"She makes me feel lucky. You make me feel lucky." Kasen expressed.

"You make love real," I said and Kasen rubbed my shoulder.

"How much longer are you going to be on my couch?" He asked.