Till Next Spring

Present Thailand 2023

" Take your medicine Off, if you want to get better you should. I'll be back for you later I'll just do my rounds"

Off nodded at the nurse who was taking care of him. He was sitting on his bed in front of the big glass windows overlooking the countryside of a private hospital.

Off Jumpol Adulkittiporn is a renowned lawyer in Thailand.  Owning a big firm TA group. Whom he built with his best friend.

Staring at the view outside he zoned in on the oak tree adjacent to his windows with its leaves falling out, it was winter though it didn't snow in Thailand it rains heavily and is chilly in the evening.

Nights were lonely and unbearable just thinking of the sun setting puts his heart in absolute chaos.

He misses him again...

----

London Winter 2016

"Off!!!! You're keys don't forget them, you'll have to go back again. For the love of God can you just put them in your pockets!"

His voice rang throughout the kitchen.

"Yes yes ...I'm late .. See you later Hun!" - Off

I grabbed my coat and headed out the freezing wind blew harshly on my skin, it was cold, it was white. Then it became warm when I felt a scarf wrapped around my neck and a kiss on my cheek. I was off to work with a smile on my face.

I remembered you again..

----

Present Thailand 2022

"Off, hey Off? You okay?"- Tay

"Yeah, yeah I'm good. Why are you here it's quite late" - Off

"Oh, I just got out of the firm. I meant to visit anyway so I dropped by before going home" - Tay

"Oh, okay ..." - Off

He had a look of melancholy again, just staring at the open wide curtains of his window.

"Off, I have to go to the city to check on the main branch. I can't be with you till next week are you fine with that?"- Tay

"It's good yeah, I told you not to stay here and go take care of TA while I'm not around" - Off

" I... I haven't found him yet" - Tay

Tay's voice quivered.

He felt the bed dipped on his side a hand on his shoulder squeezing him with comfort.

"Sorry ... " - Tay

He nodded lazily because he knew that person didn't want to be found at all. It was a futile effort from the start but he tried his luck. A luck he didn't have.

"Okay... It's okay" - Off

He is telling Tay, but those words, those were the words of assurance for him. That he is going to be fine he thinks he will.

He is going to sleep thinking of him again.

Days of being exposed to radiation made him weaker. He lay in bed on a Sunday afternoon, staring at the white ceilings of his room the nurse who had taken his blood samples had left, and the rounds for afternoons were done. And there he was left with silence again.

Only then he is filled with it that he remembers again...

-----

London Winter 2017

His hands were smooth and almost as white as the sheets. It rested on my chest peacefully feeling up my beating heart. It was a lazy Sunday off.

We would frolic like kids in bed and stay there until were too hungry that we had to get up and cook.