About You

Inspired by
About You
- 1975

Strawberries and Cigarettes
Off Jumpol Untold Story

" Do you think that I've forgotten...
About you ... "

The song blurred along the lines as his car buzzed on the coastal highways, his convertible gliding smoothly along the cold night roads, it was cool as the air breezed by caressing his hair. Lightening his mood.

Then a call put him out of his wandering mind.

"Hey ... What's up .. " he bellowed onto the speaker. As the other person chirps his greeting away in a manner that always tickles a part of his hollowed-out heart much to his dramatics a chuckle escapes his mouth

"So you'll be there huh? Right? hey ... Are you still there??" With New's enthusiasm, he barely had time to answer until the other spoke again and it's what make him so fond of this person.

"Yeah yeah, as if I'd skip this. Can I say no?" In his teasing voice, he trailed on he could already imagine the cute little pouts he put on if he didn't get what he wanted. It's been a year since he came back from New York and a month staying at home but feels like just tomorrow when he left to chase what his life purposes were since he and New were in consistent communication even the later visited New York insisting if the big apple is what he says it to be.

A whole pandora's box of big surprises and letdowns.

The latter squealed on the phone buzzing his excitement to meet him again at the club where they met then parted and then met again.

New was a warm person, a family guy maybe because of the lack of his parents he was raised both by his grandparents, and he is the only son at the short end of the stick as he says, since he'd become distant from his ever so cold older sister.

They met at a pub once struck up a conversation or two, shared cigars in alleyways, bumped heads on dark corners, juggled out of each other's pants from his apartment, and woke up late in the mornings and it was casual, it was cool, its peace.

Then he could get used to this, to New to his quirks and everything else that comes along in between.

They quickly got into that routine but after a few months or so they talked and agreed that they wanted nothing else and then moved on, he ran to New York to explore something and New changed from one job to another to fit in what he wanted in his life.

They never lost contact, oh they never did. Those late-night calls and those out-of-the-blue messages make it like he's in a long-distance relationship with someone who trudges with his feelings unannounced. That a few weeks before leaving and going back made him dreadful on how to confront his newfound feeling he'd ever so much avoided for a year.

He just wondered if they'd go back into that cycle once more and it was what he had been thinking the whole few minutes before gracing the presence of the said man that had taken up most of his thought since last night.

He'd even sought out Tawan for his thoughts about things that he said a friend of a friend's predicament when the said friend had an idea of what was going on in his whirlwind of a mind.

Well, Tawan just narrowed it down to tell or not. Then he'd go on from there afterward, saying he'd know what needed to be done after the said telling stuff blurting out feelings.

His mind reeled, they hadn't met physically in a year and he wondered if anything had changed in that short span or longer he didn't even care now as his heart started to beat like there would be someone jumping out of nowhere and killing him to death. He feels tingly.