VOLUME 1, Part 1: State Recognition Arc | Prologue

Asteroid Levian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for taking the time to read The Shores of Land. This work is created with the concept of the opposite of the typical "the entirety of Japan moved to another world."

I am creating this work with these things in mind:

- No mighty SDF.

- No curbstomping due to the disparity in civilization.

- No harem.

- The main character is an adult, so do the people around him.

- No magic.

- No status or skill.

- No guilds or adventures.

As a point to note, the entire story is full of 'diplomacy,' and there is not much of the 'war' that you would expect in this type of story. I try to keep each story to between 5.000 and 10.000 words and the content is hard-edged. This is a work for those who choose to read it, so I ask that you read it with understanding.

Mitsuki Ryūno

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 5, 1987

Today's Newspaper

Asteroid flying from outside the solar system discovered

"The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) announced on April 16 that it had discovered an asteroid outside the solar system. The asteroid, discovered in the direction of a star called Denebola, is in an orbit toward the solar system. Although detailed information such as its speed and mass are not known because it does not have an elliptical orbit like the asteroids between Mars and Jupiter, we may possibly see the next celestial show after Halley's Comet."

. . .

January 9, 1994

Today's Newspaper

1987HK, passing near Earth?

"1987HK, discovered on April 16, 1987, has a diameter of about 3 kilometers. According to NASA's calculation, 1987HK will pass near the Earth. Unlike the myriad of asteroids between Mars and Jupiter, 1987HK is coming from the direction of a star called Denebola. Its speed is estimated to be 10 km/s.

According to the currently known orbit, it will pass vertically between the Earth and the moon, which is astronomically very close. If a collision were to occur, the survival of humanity could be at stake. NASA has stated that there will be no collision under the current circumstances, and has called for caution so as not to be misled by rumors and falsehoods."

. . .

December 14, 1995

Nichiuri Shimbun

NASA, 1987HK's Torino Scale is designated as six

"NASA announced on December 13 that 1987HK, which will pass near the Earth in 2019, is designated as 6 on the Torino Scale, which indicates its collision danger. This is six out of ten.

A Torino Scale 6 is a serious but still uncertain close encounter of a large object with the potential to cause a global catastrophe, and although a collision has not been confirmed, precautions including countermeasures are required. If an asteroid with a diameter of three kilometers, an estimated mass of 100 billion tons, and a velocity of 10 kilometers per second were to fall, it would be equivalent to 10 million Little Boy atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima and would threaten to cause a second mass extinction event.