Chapter 40 - Reflection Meeting

"Seems like they really want to obstruct us, huh?"

"They not only spare no expense, but also have a cunning that keeps their hands clean."

"However, thanks to them, we've identified a possible traitor within the base. It's likely their family or loved ones have been taken hostage, leaving them with no choice. It's understandable that they wouldn't directly engage in subversive activities, as it would attract attention."

"By the way, do you know which country manufactured this box?"

"No, there were no discernible markings or evidence that could indicate its origin. At this point, we can't deny the possibility of it being a self-made fabrication."

"Of course, we'll continue to investigate. However... they've also turned the tables on us."

On the second floor of a secluded prefab hut dedicated to the Japanese government facility, not far from the quiet conference venue, both Japanese and Illyharan military forces, along with their respective ambassadors, gathered for a secret meeting. It was past 23:00, and the daytime buzz had dissipated, leaving a sense of tranquility in Eustre.

"I thought they were drawn here by pheromones or something, but that wouldn't explain the diverse species approaching."

To attract many animals, there would be bait or pheromones. However, among the colossal creatures, there were carnivorous ones, and furthermore, since there were various wild animals, it would be difficult to move them all with a single type of pheromone. While it was possible to use sheepdogs to guide them, similar to shepherds, if there were sheepdog-like animals capable of guiding giant animals, anyone would be able to identify them. To ensure their immobility and because there were no obstacles and the view was clear, the concern for giant animals was low, but it was truly unimaginable that they would make use of this.

Sitting on the table was a one-meter-square metal box. It has an opening mechanism on the top, and next to it, there was a dark blue ore placed. It was a sphere about 20 centimeters in diameter, appearing transparent like a crystal, allowing faint light to be seen from the opposite side when directly illuminated. The ore is the coveted phoronite crystal that the Philian civilization desperately wanted. It is an ultra-valuable substance that costs five trillion yen per kilogram.

This is what was inside the box.

"I never imagined they would invest even a trillion shem to simultaneously guide those giant animals..."

For giant animals, the biological Leviron mechanism is indispensable for maintaining their massive bodies. Without it, they would be unable to support their own weight and become immobile. The Leviron mechanism allows them to lift their bodies without floating, reducing their weight and enabling movement. In order to replenish the phoron excreted through metabolism, they instinctively approach when there is an abundance of phoronites available. That explains the giant creature sightings during the day.

If that's the case, since Eustre has an endless supply of phoronites, according to this logic, giant animals from all over the world should gather here. However, considering that they don't actually exist here, it's possible that they don't sense any obstacles, not even a box. This is something that cannot be immediately investigated and remains a future challenge. Giant animals, even though they may resemble Japanese kaiju-like figures, have life forces comparable to ordinary animals. While they cannot be easily killed with hunting rifles, they can be eliminated with a single shot from the ship-mounted cannons on the latest escort ships.

Therefore, there was no direct threat from the giant animals themselves, but there was a risk that animal rights groups would protest if they were killed in order to eliminate them. Similar to Earth's eco-terrorists, it appears that there are animal rights groups in Philia that particularly advocate for the protection of giant animals and campaign against their use as food.