Chapter 41 - Japanese Credential Presentation Ceremony

In normal circumstances, after establishing diplomatic relations, the ambassadors of both countries would assume their positions.

In contrast, it would be contradictory for representatives to assume their positions before establishing diplomatic relations. However, Japan and Illyharan intentionally arranged the opposite scenario. This was done out of concern for the already known policy of serfdom taken by the Altaran's Committee of Alien Nation (Japan) Response. The policy of serfdom has not yet spread widely in society due to ongoing regulations, but both countries share a common understanding that they will definitely take some kind of action in this event to establish diplomatic relations with the alien nation. In order to mitigate the risks, it was decided that the heads of state of both countries would hold the signing ceremony last, and the less risky presentation of credentials would be conducted first.

If a problem were to arise during the signing ceremony, it could lead to a rupture in the connection between Japan and Illyharan. Some may think that since it is a provisional diplomatic status, it wouldn't be a problem, but there is a world of difference between unofficial and official relations on a national scale. Even if it is incomplete, as long as there is some official diplomatic relationship, it can still be managed to some extent. That's why they decided to conduct the presentation of credentials first.

"Finally, the day has come," murmured Erma, dressed in formal attire.

For over a month, Japan had been laying artificial stone (asphalt) on the ground from their forward base, and it was still ongoing. The goal was not only to connect the land but also to cover the area up to a depth of five meters in the sea. As a result, the ground was now flat, allowing for a convoy within the phoron effective range to cross the border of the connecting area, similar to when tourists visit Japan. There were nearly ten police and official vehicles lined up, with a bus parked in the middle.

That bus is for Erma's use.

According to Ruyle's report, it has been confirmed that riding in a bus provides more psychological comfort compared to regular vehicles. One factor is that the ground is solid due to the artificial stone, rather than being soft. But being positioned more than two meters above the ground also seems to provide a sense of calm. Even psychiatrists say that two meters are generally the limit to maintaining a calm state of mind when close to the ground, so it can be considered the best consideration from Japan. By the way, the reason why two meters is mentioned is that it is the height at which, even if a sudden Guibola were to emerge from the ground, one can reflexively evacuate. It seems that knowing this instinctively brings a sense of calm. Beside the bus, there are Japanese government officials, including Haguma dressed in formal attire, waiting.

"Good morning, Ambassador Erma."

In fluent Martani language, as if it's hard to believe that he couldn't speak just three months ago, Haguma greeted Erma with a bow.

"Good morning. It's a perfect sunny day today, without a single cloud in the sky."

Looking up at the sky, as she just mentioned, there wasn't a single cloud. The temperature was around 15 degrees Celsius, making it a perfect weather for a historic event.

"Yes, well, from a Japanese perspective, it would be nice if it rained a bit more."

Eustre doesn't have dry and rainy seasons. It rains regularly, and rivers flow from the circular mountain range, creating numerous ponds and lakes. Because of that, they don't have much trouble with water, but within Japan, the presence of the sea hinders rainfall, so they would like it to rain a bit more. Nevertheless, they currently don't have a water shortage (or "they don't run out of water").

"I look forward to working with you today."

"We will do our utmost with sincerity. We will stay away from the ground as much as possible."