Chapter 52 - Prelude

"Haguma-san, it seems your stress levels are quite high. I understand it's tough, but it's dangerous if you don't take a break."

"I would love to, but everything that needs to be done can only be done by me."

A day after the densely packed international conference that condensed the world's darkness, Haguma was in the medical room at the Suda Garrison for a regular check-up by the medical officer. Quarantine measures were still in place. This was due to considering the potential for much longer incubation periods in Earthlings compared to the few days in a Lian, given the possibility of exponential increase. Of course, there were no unexplained health issues at the moment, and the values that were off were mostly due to the constant battles in the intense political war zones, without rest.

To put it plainly, Haguma was pushing himself too hard.

He had only spoken about his meeting with Prime Minister Sasaki, but potentially, the future of Japan rested on Haguma's words. Unconsciously, he was carrying too much on his shoulders, and that was quietly threatening his well-being.

"I recommend you take some time off from work and rest. We won't impose a complete work stoppage, but if you continue like this, there's a possibility that your internal organs' function will deteriorate. Your weight has also dropped, so try to eat more and gain weight."

"Right. Lately I've been so busy that I've been relying on jelly drinks for nutrition."

"In that case, you should definitely eat more."

"I will."

Haguma bowed to the medical officer and left the medical room.

"Sigh... as expected, I've been told."

Rubbing his stomach, Haguma muttered to himself.

He had been busy even before the signing ceremony, eating only nutrient-rich foods to save time for his three meals a day.

A jelly drink barely had 200 kilocalories. With a basal metabolic rate of 1.500 kilocalories and consuming less than 600 in three meals, it was no wonder he was losing weight.

"...I really need to eat."

His work as a linguist was mostly done, and now he just had to get through the battle of Altaran. Although he understood it, Haguma was in an incredibly challenging situation. He had been an associate professor at a national university before the transference, but now he was negotiating on behalf of an interstellar society against an alien planet. Life was truly unpredictable. Since he was already in Japan due to the flow of events, he couldn't collapse and miss the decisive battle. He would put everything else aside and focus on his health. That was Haguma's current job. But before that, he headed outside to the smoking area for a cigarette.

"Phew..."

He had been so busy recently that he only smoked half of what he used to, but the reduced quantity made each cigarette more enjoyable.

"There's so many changes happening."

Exhaling the smoke, Haguma compared the Suda Garrison when he first arrived to its current state.

About three and a half months had passed since the transference. The two kilometers of connecting area, which used to be a beach, was now all paved, and the boundary line had been updated from a fence to a wall. Buildings had also been erected on the Eustre side, each equipped with LRADs, massive sound wave weapons for repelling large animals, on their rooftops.

Japan's first border checkpoint.

It might not fully solve the half-breed problem, but it was still necessary.