Chapter 57 - Battle of Altaran (4): Majority Rule

At the international organization of the Philian society, a luncheon was held with fourteen nations, including the Security Council, and the alien country.

Although it is a fact that Earthlings came to this planet before Japan, it is officially the first meeting. Furthermore, unlike previous meetings, this one was open to the media, causing a frenzy among media personnel to take photos. However, that's a prelude. Once it starts, only a few Altaran public relations officials will be allowed to take photos.

The luncheon venue had the ambiance of a cafeteria, although it is unclear which organization it was intended for. It was probably a cafeteria within the National Diet Building rather than a public cafeteria. Haguma had only seen it on TV. Still, it was chosen as a luncheon with an alien country, so it was lavishly decorated. The removal of unnecessary tables was a given, and a long rectangular table was set up with electric candelabras evenly spaced. Near the head table, the Altaran flag and somehow the Japanese flag were floating intersected.

The poles themselves must be equipped with the Leviron mechanism. Phoronite crystals are indeed very expensive, but their prices have dropped to the point where even ordinary citizens can easily afford them at the particle level. It's one ton for 0,1 grams, so it's no problem at the particle level. Otherwise, it would be a poor cost-performance to use phoronites just to float flags. Media personnel became only Altaran public relations officials, and the venue fell silent.

Then, several Lians resembling waiters appeared from the kitchen, and dishes were served in front of each country's ambassadors. Philia's tableware is mainly made of wood, which would be considered outdated by Haguma and his colleagues. It's cheaper and more widely available than ceramics and plastics derived from the ground, but it seems that they can't serve cheap wooden ones. By the way, in this world, there are three types of utensils: chopsticks, spoons, and forks. This time, it's spoons and forks.

The ones that came out were ceramics, but the patterns were fancy, probably high-end tableware. The mentality to prepare such things to maintain dignity is really similar. The meal was served in a course format, and the first thing served was salad. Of course, it's completely different from Earth's vegetables, and even if they look similar, the taste is different. In terms of taste, it's an uncharted territory, but I can say it's delicious.

Usually, interpreters don't participate in these kinds of luncheons, but Haguma was allowed to attend to make Japan aware of Altaran. Although they served alien food after being given rice balls, it was his first time having a full-course meal. If this were a public cafeteria, they could share our thoughts on the taste, but there's no chance to do that, and we continue to eat quietly.

"How do you like the dishes here?" Chairman Morlot asked.

"I had the opportunity to taste the food of this planet for the first time, and I find it very exquisite."

He dreaded what would happen if he told them it was not good. He couldn't interfere with a situation that was just beginning to take a new turn.

"I'd like to try Japanese cuisine as well."

"I'd rather not. There may be no harm, but the mere mention of alien makes my appetite disappear," Whistler retorted to Morlot.

As expected of a public luncheon, they chose their words carefully. Still, it still stung.

"I'm sure you'll find a meal you like," PM Sasaki said, spearing his salad with a fork and delivering his response. On the contrary, there was no advantage to killing the Prime Minister or Haguma here and now. The next Prime Minister would only put up resistance.

"I'd love to treat you to our country's cuisine, but saying that here would only sound like flattery, so let's refrain."

A small laugh ensued.