Chapter 18 - Surprise Attack

"I'm still not used to being on standby when a battle occurred somewhere."

Two hours had passed since the first wave of missiles was launched by the Revan International Fleet that marked the beginning of the Battle of Eustre.

The Juliarty Recon Team was ordered to stand by as per the rule, and in principle could only be indirectly involved in the ongoing battle, and had no choice but to watch the updated battle situation at the Rassalon Floating Base.

They were gathering at a multipurpose room where all the Juliarty Recon Team was assembled. The huge monitor in front of the room displayed some of the information from the base command center to give a simplified picture of the current situation. Ruyle sat down, drank some water, and watched the monitor.

As far as she could tell, there was no damage to either fleet. The two sides had intercepted each other's missiles and had remained at a distance of 500 kilometers from each other without firing any more missiles. The screen showed Eustre to the east from a pan of Japan, Honshu, where Rassalon and the Revan International Fleet were shown as bright spots.

The two fleets were not firing at each other recklessly, as they had done previously despite the battle. In modern warfare, militaries attack at the slightest opening, and then they attack with a desperate attempt to gain the upper hand and inflict a political defeat before total annihilation.

Besides, this war is very delicate. The alien nation of Japan is involved and their allies are the only ones who have entered the country without the consent of the world. The disadvantages are far greater than the advantages, and regardless of victory or defeat, the three countries, including Regen, will lose a great deal of credibility in the international community.

Whatever the reason for seizing the Holy Land for Regen's state religion, it will be worthless if the economy, which is the lifeline of the country, is crushed.

Although their land is huge, their population is inversely proportional to the size of the country. Theoretically, a country can prosper without any diplomatic relations if it uses its territory effectively throughout the world, but if it does not cooperate with other countries because of its aversion to the ground, it will collapse.

There are several possible reasons for wanting this crater called Eustre, with a diameter of only 4.000 kilometers, despite the likelihood of global condemnation. But there was no physical evidence of any of them, and even if they wanted to investigate, their species' instincts would not allow them to do so.

"I wish Japan would look into it."

"What do you want them to look into it?"

As she was thinking and muttering to herself, Captain Rhea, who had also been ordered to stand by, sat down next to her

"No, just talking to myself."

"Oh."

They went silent as Ruyle and Rhea together looked at the unmoving light spots. Even though those around them have been told to stand by and rest, they are still aware of the monitors, moderating their chit-chat because they do not know when the battle situation will change. Even if they did move, Ruyle and her team, who have been away from their normal duties and training for the past half month, would not be able to do anything, but they can't stand still either because their comrades were fighting.

"...Don't even think about doing anything reckless."

"I won't. Since when did I become a suicide bomber?"

"You're so reckless when it comes to the Japanese."

"That's rich coming from you, Captain."

"At least I'm trying to keep it in moderation."