Chapter 23 - Breather

Clink

The sound of beer cans colliding with each other echoed in the room. The sound of carbonation bursting. The sound of throats clenching as the beer is downed.

"Haah!"

Haguma and Amamiya exhaled loudly at the same time.

"Man. It tastes much better than usual."

"Even if you call me old-fashioned, beer after work is really good."

They were in the reception room of the Kamisu Municipal Elementary School, where Haguma and Amamiya were having a drinking party as they had talked before. The TV playing as background sounds was showing a preliminary report that the Kingdom of Illyharan had voted to recognize Japan as a country, and an expert was explaining the future course of events.

The international fleet ceased its attacks after the chairman of the Altaran Security Council called for a ceasefire. At the same time, the Rassalon fleet also ceased its attack and there was a lull, and it is said that they are now conducting rescue operations for soldiers from the downed airships, both friendly and enemy. It is unknown how long the international fleet will maintain the truce, but the fighting has stopped nonetheless.

"It seems like it took a long time, but it hasn't even been three weeks since the Japanese arrived on this planet."

Today is the sixteenth day counting from the day they were transferred. It has only been 16 days.

"I'm glad, but it's too soon even for a normal country, let alone an alien one. You'd think public opinion would think there's some kind of conspiracy, even if it's mostly for the purpose of a ceasefire."

"I think they'll think it's still more positive to stop the other side than to trust Japan."

"You can't overturn what's been decided. If we say, 'We're not going to do it,' their credibility will be ruined."

"Even if they accept Japan's position, they will lose international credibility."

From Japan's perspective, they should be very happy that they have made it to the starting line. Japan can honestly rejoice in that. However, the environment surrounding Japan remains the same. After all, Eustre is, as a matter of course, an Illyharan territory. Now that it is recognized as a country, Japan has sovereignty over it, even if it is limited, and its activities in Eustre will become difficult. Even if Japan has a verbal agreement to allow the hunting of giant creatures such as wildes, it still cannot move until it has legal permission to do so. They were prepared for this, but that is where the Japanese government and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will have to do their best.

"I think Illyharan has decided that even if they lose credibility, the benefits of making Japan their ally outweigh the downsides. It also prevents the possibility of losing this place to Regen."

"That's a bit like the idea behind Regen's attack on Eustre, isn't it?"

"I guess so. But the other side is our territory. The cause is over there."

"If only there were a large amount of phoron and underground resources here."

"...Haguma-san, let's not talk about that side of things at least tonight. It will make the good liquor go down."

"You're right. I've been wanting to ask you about this for a while now. Did something happen? Oh, I don't mind if you talk to me as if I'm your age."

"Of course I use it with older people, but I didn't use polite words with people my age or younger out of habit. Haguma-san, you were sent from outside the company and were a guest, so I had to be polite."