Chapter 21 - Sketchbook

It was the end of the week. The vote is happening today. This is my last chance to get into this art competition. My last chance to win a scholarship to a great art school. This is my dream.

Not only is today an important day for me, but also an important day for my friends. Oikawa, Iwaizumi, and Aya have the last game before they can get to nationals. They won all their games before this to get here, so I'm really hoping for them to win.

If I win my vote and they win their games, maybe we could all go out to celebrate. None of them actually know about this art thing, not even Aya, so they might be a little surprised to hear about it.

The announcement was made in the morning. Everyone was sent an email with a form asking them to pick their favourite piece of art. The artists themselves couldn't vote, and the art was left anonymous in case people were biased. There will probably be some friends of the other competitors who know which piece is theirs, but I don't think that'll affect the vote too much.

I was impatient for the whole day, waiting for the school to announce who won and waiting for my friends to tell me about their matches. All of it was stressing me out. I know I said I was confident in my art, but there was still a sense of worry that I might not make it. That first year girl and second year boy are pretty skilled. Also, art is subjective. I may think a certain piece is the best thing ever, while someone else might think it's the worst.

At the end of the day, I made my way to the art room. I was assuming the teacher would tell us the results of the vote when we were all there. By the time I arrived, everyone was already in their places. I guess I was being slow. Or everyone was just excited

I could feel all the member's eyes on me as I walked to my usual spot. What's with all the staring?

"Alright, now that everyone is here, I should share the results," The teacher began, "All of you did well, so please do not let this vote discourage you from making art."

The first year girl nervously shifted around in her seat. I looked back at the second year boy who was biting his nails. They were both extremely anxious.

The teacher cleared her throat, "Y/N. Congratulations, you will be the one competing for us this year."

My eyes widened, and my hand made its way to covering my mouth. The members started to applaud, except for the girl and the boy who were also competing.

"Th-thank you so much, everyone!" I couldn't control my smile. I can't believe it, I did it! The last chance I had for this, and I actually did it. I immediately wanted to let my friends know, but I held back thinking it would be much better to tell them in person.

The teacher left the room, and everyone went back to their work. A few of the members came up to me to personally congratulate me, which I appreciated greatly.

This is great, I don't have to worry about a stupid vote anymore. But I now have to worry about something much bigger. The competition. This vote was barely anything compared to what was coming. There's an artist from practically every high school in Miyagi participating. I can't wait.

"Um... Y/N?" I turned my attention away from my sketchbook to the person who said my name. The second year boy.

"Well... congratulations. I knew you would win, to be honest. We didn't really stand a chance..." He awkwardly laughs.

"When you think like that, obviously you're not going to stand a chance." I state.

The boy raised his eyebrows, "Uhm, I- I guess... you're just so talented, I don't think I'll even be up to where you are..."