Chapter 45

Chapter 45: The Ring

Everything was fine. Hestia was safe. There was nothing to worry about. There was a huge difference between reality and what's just in your mind. I have no control over my mind, but I live in reality. There's no way I would let anything happen to anyone around me.

I was busy flipping the pages of the journal Hestia gifted to me. It was a compilation of the most remarkable events in our lives this era. May tuwa at pait na pakiramdam sa dibdib ko habang palipat ako nang palipat ng pahina.

As I flipped the pages of the journal, I realized how long I've stayed in this world. The journal also included some pictures of my past events with random people I've never met again.

Sa tagal kong nanatili rito ay wala man lang ni isa akong nakapagpalagayan ng loob. Maybe because I've never really encouraged the idea of expanding my circle beyond Hestia. It's always been contented to her.

There were times that being isolated from the rest saved me and my career. But there were also times when I looked back and realized I had wasted a lot of good friends. Just like Kathlysse.

I may have successfully embodied countless of identity and personalities, but I failed to leave my past behind. My past has always influenced my present. My past reminded me of how untrustworthy this world was. The fewer you trust, the safer you are.

I didn't realize that I was already at the end of the journal. May mga pahina pang kasunod pero blangko na ang mga 'yon at hindi na mapupunan pa.

Tumuwid ang tingin ko. Nakatingin sa akin si Hestia. Ngumiti siya nung mahuli ang tingin ko saka uminom ng alak.

"I didn't gift that journal for you to look back the entire night," she said sarcastically.

"Where's Kristan?"

We were alone at the kitchen. Masyado akong nalunod sa pagbabalik-tanaw na nakalimutan kong may mga kasama pala ako. Dapat ay magpa-party kami pero pagkakita ko sa journal ay napaupo ako agad para basahin.

"He brought Lilly into his room," Hestia shrugged. "Did you like my gift?"

I smiled. "You made my departure in this world more depressing."

She poured more wine into her glass. "Did you appreciate it?"

"Of course I did!"

She sipped on her wine while staring at me. Sa tingin ko ay nagtatampo pa rin ito na muntik ko nang masira ang gabing hinanda niya para sa akin.

I put the journal on the table and moved my seat closer to her. Kinuha ko ang alak sa kanyang kamay saka ko 'yon ininom. Naramdaman kong hinawi niya ang buhok ko papunta sa likod ng aking tainga.

"If I would be honest..." she whispered. "I hated this world. I still do hate it."

"I thought you also fell in love with it eventually?" I arched a brow.

"It doesn't matter anymore. We are leaving."

"We are..." Hinaplos ko ang kanyang mapulang pisngi. Napapikit siya sa ginawa ko. "Thank you, Hestia. Thank you for always being there for me."

"I have no choice..." she whispered, still eyes shut.

I smiled. She had so many options, but she still chose to be with me. That says a lot about how much she values our long history. I do, too.

"I cannot live without you..." Isang butil ng luha ang pumatak mula sa kanyang pisngi. Tumulo ito sa aking kamay na nakahawak sa kanyang pisngi.

"You don't have to. I am here."