Chapter 49

Chapter 49: Two of Us

Hestia didn't say anything the whole time she cleaned up my mess. I did the same thing. In the past three days that she was out of my sight, I've already thought of a lot of assumptions about our situation, but on top of that, I only had one question.

Now, what?

Napansin kong natigilan siya habang nakatingin sa isang bagay sa ibabaw ng lamesa. Kinuha niya roon ang picture naming dalawa.

"I'm sorry if I was not around in the past three days," she said while still staring at our photograph. "I just couldn't stand seeing you tied in this bed."

"You have been doing that for half a year," I laughed mockingly.

"Not just that..." she sighed and sat on the edge of the bed, just beside my chained feet. "It hurts seeing you desperate to escape from me."

"You should have thought of that from the very start, Hestia." I knew I was furious at her for doing this. Pero hindi 'yung pagkamuhi na basta-basta ko na lang tatalikuran ang lahat.

I was still looking for a light in our situation— a reason why I should forgive her. Even the slightest one, I would take it. I would fucking accept her again.

"A-are you mad at me?" she asked.

"What do you think?"

She crumpled our photograph as tears loomed around her gloomy eyes. I could see regret, but not enough to completely regret doing this.

I guess there was really nothing I could do anymore. Her fear of losing me has long tainted our friendship. But in the process of holding me close, she just pushed me away.

"H-hindi naman dapat aabot sa ganito ang lahat." Humikbi siya. "Wala sa plano ko ang itali ka sa kama panghabang-buhay, Nathalia. Believe me. I didn't want to do it."

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ko sa kumot habang nakatingin din sa kanya. Alam kong kapag nagsalita pa siya ay masasagot na ang mga katanungan ko.

Can she stop now? She had already ruined us.

"My plan didn't work this time." She wiped the tears off her face. "I did everything to make the situation in favor of me, but..."

"Your plan to make everyone turn their backs on me? That's what you did, right, Hestia? Lahat ng lumalapit sa akin ay sinisira mo."

"Because..." She sobbed harder. "I didn't want to lose you. I do not want to lose you, Nathalia. I cannot lose you. And I will not."

"During our insurgent life. Si Ellie. Tayo lang tatlo no'n. I didn't want to question how she suddenly discovered my real identity. Please don't tell me it's not you who told her."

"It was me," diretso niyang sagot. "I told her that you are the daughter of Lord Severo, the leader of Nightfall Clan. That you have the power to take her out of being insurgent and give her a permanent home."

"You know what happened next—"

"Hindi lang 'yon..." Wala ng luha sa kanyang mga mata ngayon. Walang pagsisisi, pero may takot. "Remember the day when you found me in the cabin bathing in my own blood? You are in delusion at that time. Wala akong dugo sa katawan."

"W-what do you mean? I was there. I saw you covered in blood—"

"Bago 'yon, hindi ba inalok kita ng alak? The drink has an ingredient to delude you into thinking I was bathing in my own blood. That's not real. Nathalia..."

"Hestia..." Lumambot ang boses ko. "I killed Ellie because I thought she did that to you."

"I'm sorry, Nathalia..."