Chapter 50

Oliver stiffened when he heard her.

He shook his head aggressively. No. No. No. This can't be happening. His worst nightmare.

His careless mistake that still haunted him.

"I didn't. I didn't do it." He whimpered out. He didn't like the thought of others seeing him as a kidnapper. It angered him and made him feel small. His job was to ensure babies are delivered safely, how can he possibly kidnap those miracles?

Riley was pointing her gun at him and frowned at his actions.

He seemed like he really couldn't have done something like that, almost as if it physically hurt him to even be accused of such a thing.

She didn't know what to make of it.

"Give me your gun." She said. She didn't want to risk him pointing it at her again.

Oliver dropped the gun on the couch and covered his ears with his hands, shaking his head and muttering something under his breath.

Riley went around the couch and bent down to pick up the gun when she heard heard him say something.

"You OK?" She asked concerned. It felt weird to her in a way she couldn't explain it. Seeing an old man shake his head with tears oozing out of his eyes made her feel miserable and she felt like she walked in on someone.

"I swear I didn't do it. Please belive me. I didn't know. I was helping her. I didn't do it." Oliver pleaded feeling miserable inside. What's the use of saying it, he was going to be blamed anyways just like his previous supervisor did.

"OK you didn't do it. Can we talk?"

"You do?" He asked, lifting his head to look at her through tear filled eyes.

Yea, he couldn't have been the kidnapper. Riley concluded, feeling sorry for him. He was most likely forced to take the blame and was shunned by his colleges, that'd explain his reaction to being accused of kidnapping a newborn. It traumatized him. And petrified him to be in the same position once again.

"Do you know what happened that day?" Riley asked gently. He nodded him head.

Great. That's all she needed.

"I have the USB with that day's cctv footage." He said rubbing his eyes on his sleeve.

"What?" Riley shrieked out. That's literally all she needed.

"I will give it to you on only one condition." He said straightening his back.

Riley rolled her eyes. Of course, there's always a condition.

"You let me go. And I get to keep a copy of the footage too."

"That's actually two but OK." Riley said chewing on her lower lip. She could see now he was terrified of being thrown in the jail. Jail isn't a fun place to be in but..... woah living with that fear for 25 years wondering if it would be the last day he'd get up to see the sun, that didn't sound pleasing either. 

'You'd have never been arrested." Riley told him.

"The guy is very powerful." He shot back.

"Ah maybe. Now can I know what exactly happened that day?" Riley said shrugging her shoulder. She didn't know what else to say to comfort him. Vincent was powerful and could easily bankrupt the hospital she took her first birth in, but she highly doubted he'd throw Oliver in jail.

"Why do you want to know?" Oliver asked frowning, looking her up and down.

"Well I was the kidnapped baby and I want to know why the guy wasn't informed that he had twins, how did someone manage to kidnap me and why didn't he know that he had twins? Wasn't he in the delivery room?" She asked puzzled. Vincent, though a terrible father, didn't seem like a guy who would let his wife deal with the pain alone.