Chapter 1 (Not Safe)

Chapter 1: Not safe

Ethan Warren

March 2023

10 months after outbreak

Minnesota

Season 2

------------------------------------------------------

"There's too many of them!" Khai yelled, "and there's still more coming!" We were surrounded by the dead. Fighting for our lives to protect this home. But there were too many. We were low on ammo, people, and hope.

"Amy!" Leah yelled, as complete fear filled her voice. Khai, Amy, Leah, Dallen, and Rudi all fought in the front lawn, but now Amy was bit and Leah was crying. I didn't want to give up, I didn't want us to lose this place, but I couldn't just stand here on the roof and let everyone else die.

"Come on Leah, we have to get inside," Dallen said as he tried to pull her to her feet.

"But what about Amy?"

"You have to leave her, I'm sorry." With tears in her eyes and the dead right behind, Leah put a gun to her sister's head. Together the two sisters cried as the bullet ended her suffering.

They all got back inside and Aiden, Lucas, and I got down from the rooftop. They all turned to me for answers but I didn't have any.

"We have to get out of here," Khai said, "we can't stay here."

"And how do you suppose we leave?" Aiden asked with a blank expression.

"We fight our way out," Leah suggested, tears dry on her face. Dallen comforted her, he held her close so she wouldn't do anything she might regret. She didn't turn to me for reassurance, I know she blames me for Amy's death. I blame myself too.

"Pack your bags, get as much as you can. We leave before they start breaking the doors down." I said as I stared at the floor, I couldn't bring myself to look at the people I've failed yet again.

Everyone but Dallen and Leah got to work almost immediately. They packed everything they could. Now was the hard part.

"Stay together, kill anything in our way, and most importantly, don't get bit," I said that last thing while looking directly at Leah who just looked away as hatred filled her tired eyes.

I opened the door, while looking the dead in the eyes. Khai killed the first one that stepped foot into our former home. We stayed by each other's side. We made a path through the dead and ran as quickly as we could after we got past the hoard.

We were homeless yet again, eight kids with nothing more than a high school education, an asshole who could turn on us at any second, a pregnant woman who was now nine months in, and someone who's never said a word to me.

We used to have everything, now we had nothing, and as I stared at the road as we drove to God knows where, I cried.