Chapter 6 (There's absolutly nothing in Nebraska)

Chapter 6: There's absolutely nothing in Nebraska

Ethan Warren

May 2023

One Year after outbreak

Nebraska

Season 2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's May now, early May at that. But I can never tell anymore. None of us really can. The air always smells the same, like death.

We got to Nebraska yesterday. There's a lot of the dead in the empty fields. But there's no food, there's no water. There is nothing here. Nothing useful, anyways.

Juna wouldn't stop crying, she's hungry just like the rest of us. She's getting bigger now, but not much because she's always hungry. She's already a little over a month old. It's sad how we'll never know her exact birthday but birthdays don't matter anymore.

Our car broke down a few hours after we entered the new state. Now we had to walk. The hot spring air glued to our backs. We all tried to wear as little clothes as possible but we wore enough to at least try to not get skin cancer from the harsh, burning rays.

We were going to die soon if we didn't get something to drink. I had no words to say when Rudi told me he saw Aiden drink his own piss.

How did we get here? How did we not see that horde before it was too late? How was I going to be able to keep everyone alive if too many of our people are dead?

We found a souvenir shop after we had walked a few miles. There were a few cars in the parking lot. Khai took care of finding one that was able to drive. It really sucked that there were no vans, now we'd all have to be crowded in a hot old car with no air conditioning because whoever had this car last apparently was a psychopath.

Dallen, Edin, and Aiden found some water and snacks in the shop. It wasn't much but we all crowded around it like our life depended on it because it really did.

Rudi gave Juna a very small amount of the water. Not more than a few drops because he knew too much could possibly kill her and we all wouldn't be able to mentally handle that.

We had some food now, a little water too. But I needed to help keep that baby alive, we had to find more. Maybe I was greedy, maybe I was desperate. Maybe I was just too narcissistic to let myself die.