Chapter 15 (Hope Lost)

Chapter 15: Hope Lost

Leah Souixer

July 2023

14 months after outbreak

Nebraska

Season 2

---------------------------------------

"So why'd you agree to come?" Khai asked as we were searching for supplies in an old warehouse.

"I needed a break from being in there."

"Same, before I thought I would never be able to get over how many people were there. I thought I'd want to go to every party, every social gathering, every meeting, but now all I wanna do is stay locked in my room and play Uno with myself."

"That's impossible."

"Exactly." There wasn't much in the warehouse, a few dead ones, but there was enough that we wouldn't be coming back empty handed.

"Have you seen Camila?" I asked as I closed my bag.

"No, she was just here. I'd call for her but that'd be a waste of time. She's probably around here somewhere." We looked around the inside of the building but she was nowhere to be seen. This was unlike her. She never would talk much but she stayed close by, she never went off on her own.

"Camila!" Khai yelled. There was no response. "Maybe she went outside?" We opened the door to the back entrance. We saw her running down the street. We could tell she didn't want to be followed. Ethan drove her away because he didn't care enough to try to help and now she was going to die because of him. I was going to but now it was too late. It filled me with so much anger. I wanted that man dead for everything he's done to us. And for everything he hasn't done. In my last breath, I promise I will put a bullet through his heart. The only reason he isn't dead now is because unlike him, I wont let myself live with being a murderer to people that don't deserve it.

Khai and I left to go back home earlier than expected. Khai wanted to go look for her, I didn't think it was a good idea. She made her choice, it was my chance to prove to Ethan what he was doing. Neither of us said anything as we drove back. Our eyes stayed directly on the road in front of us. We were nervous because we didn't want to see Camila. It would be too awkward.

Khai dug an empty grave for her in the back of Loveland, next to the people that others have lost. I used to leave flowers whenever I could. I was jealous of her for having the courage to escape. I knew if I tried to, one way or another I'd come crawling back and I have no idea what these people would do to me then. After all the shit I've said, they'd probably use me as bait in a trap for the dead ones.