Chapter 2 (Juna)

Chapter 2: Juna

Rudolph Alinsky

March 2023

10 months after outbreak

Minnesota

Season 2

-----------------------------------------

"Olivia, what's wrong?" I asked. I sat next to her in the car, I wasn't sure if she was just in shock from what happened or if something else was the matter but either way, she didn't look good.

"I think the baby's coming," she said as worry filled her eyes.

"You gotta be shitting me," Khai chimed in.

"Ethan, pull over," I said as I held Olivia's hand tightly.

"Where?" he asked.

"Anywhere." Ethan pulled into the parking lot of a gas station. Olivia and I were the last to exit the van. Khai and Aiden killed the dead that were in our way. When we got inside, I helped lay Via on the floor.

"Amy, can you get me some blankets?" I said, immediately regretting my choice of words. I forgot she wasn't here anymore. Leah looked at me but there was no anger on her face. Instead she left to go find some blankets, herself.

"What better place to have a baby than a gas station," Khai said sarcastically.

"Maybe they'll be really into cars,"Edin joked. This really wasn't the time for dumb jokes but at least it lightened the mood a little.

"Edin, is there any clean water here?" I asked.

"Let me look. You know, my dad worked at a gas station, I bet they'd be good friends," Edin smiled.

"Shut the hell up," Olivia responded, completely done with their bullshit.

Leah got me some blankets and Edin found the water. Aiden, Khai, and Ethan stood guard around the inside of the building. Making sure not too many of the dead were outside. Ashton held Olivia's head on his lap and brushed her hair with his fingertips to calm her down. Lucas and Camila were nowhere to be found, I was kinda glad that was the case. Lucas didn't deserve to be in the baby's presence.

Edin and I both looked at each other, befuddled. Neither one of us had delivered a baby before but there was a first for everything.

"How do you feel?" Edin asked Via.

"How do I look?" Edin let out a nervous laugh.

"I was there when my sister gave birth, I know how this works. Thank you both for being here for my baby."

-----------------------------------

Ethan Warren

----------------------------------

I know we stayed in that gas station for a while because it was night time now. I had dozed off but I was awakened by the sounds of Olivia's screams. The baby was coming but I was more worried about what this loud sound would draw in. The dead would be at our doorstep yet again and we were in no shape for another fight.

Her screams lasted a good while but soon I heard her cry. The baby's cry. And I smiled. I would go on to helping Rudi take care of that kid, I would help him raise her. I would protect her when he couldn't.

"It's Juna," Rudi smiled as he put the baby into Olivia's arms. Olivia smiled but her smile soon turned to tears as she gave the baby back to Rudi.

"What is it?" Edin asked as she got a blanket to wrap around Juna's small body.

"I can't hold her. I don't want to hurt her," Olivia cried.

"You won't hurt her," Rudi reassured.

"Yes I will. Eventually, I will. When we were leaving the apartment, I got bit too. I didn't want to say anything because of what happened with Amy but I have to now," she said, revealing a perfectly placed bite mark on her shoulder.

"It's not deep, maybe you won't turn," Ash suggested.

"No, I know how these things work, I can already feel the fever setting in. Rudi, take good care of Juna for me, alright? Make sure she has the heart that you have." Rudi was crying now, so was Juna but obviously not for the same reason.

"We need formula, Khai, can you take a look around? There's got to be some around here," Leah asked.

"Yeah," she said as she left the scene.

"Ethan, I want you to be the one to do it. Make sure I don't come back please. Make sure I don't hurt anyone." I nodded, I simply had no words left to say. Aiden comforted Rudi as he cried with Juna in his arms. Khai came back with some formula and baby bottles. Khai took her from Rudi because he was in no state to feed her.

This really does mark one of the worst and best days of our lives.