Chapter 7 (Lone Stranger)

Chapter 7: Lone Stranger

Ethan Warren

May 2023

One Year after outbreak

Omaha, Nebraska

Season 2

------------------------------------------------------

We've planned to stay in Nebraska for about a week. We would search everywhere we could for anything. Rudi had found a long scarf-like thing to carry Juna and be able to protect the two of them at the same time. He wrapped her around his body in the front because she was still too small to support her own body weight. But we still had barley found any food. Hardly any water, and no place to call home.

When all of us went into one of the abandoned buildings we heard something coming from the floor above. We immediately clustered together. This wasn't something we had practiced or anything, it was just a natural reaction at this point. We all relied on each other. Well, at least most of us did. Lucas was still an outcast and always would be.

"What the hell is that?" Dallen asked.

"Could be an animal," Ashton suggested.

"If it was an animal we'd be the luckiest people in the world," Khai chimed in. I decided that we'd deal with whatever it was when we needed to, we needed to save what little strength we had. There was nothing in this store, just like every other one. I wasn't surprised but I was disappointed. I went back to searching around, I didn't want to bring myself to give up so easily.

Just then we heard something walking down the stairs. At first I thought it was one of the dead so we got out our guns to use what little ammo we had left but this time it wasn't. It was a person. An alive person, but still, none of us lowered our weapons. Chances were something we couldn't afford to take.

"Hello there," he greeted, awkwardly.

"What do you want?" I asked, making my way in front of the group.

"I don't want anything, I'm simply just looking for supplies as I assume you are as well," he smiled.

"Drop your weapons and give us all your shit, or I'll put a bullet in your brain." I saw Rudi give me a look of disapproval but I really couldn't care less at the moment. We're desperate.

"I'm unarmed, sir, you can take whatever you need," he said, setting down his bag.

"How have you survived this long without something to kill the dead with?" Khai asked, taking the bag from off the ground. There were a few instant noodles and water bottles. But no baby formula, not like I was expecting there to be any but I had hopes.

"Well, I was going to get to that before this kind man threatened me," he chuckled. I didn't put down my gun and neither did anyone else. Except for Rudi, but he still held his knife firmly in his left hand. "I noticed you people have a child, I want to help you and I believe I can."

"Why would you want to do that?" I asked, slowly moving my index finger away from the trigger.

"Because that's what I do. That's what I've been doing since the beginning."

"And you think a few cups of noodles is going to help?"

"I don't trust this guy," Aiden whispered in my ear.

"What I have to offer is far better than noodles."

"No, something's wrong with this man. There ain't nothing better than noodles," Edin joked without letting a smile creep up on their face. He laughed and it only made me want to kill him more.

"There's a community. Walls, families, food, electricity, hot water, anything you could possibly need. And I know you people need it. Let me take you there, please it's the least I could do."

"Let me get this straight. We pointed guns and knives at you, threatened to kill you, stole all your shit, and you're just gonna trust us enough to let us into your home? If this "community" of yours is real what would they think about this? We could be dangerous and you're just going to let us sleep in the same place as your women and children?" I interrogated.

"No one's ever truly bad, sir. Plus, not many murderers and cannibals keep babies around. You can take my word for it, I've seen my fair share of those types of people. I am just trying to help. And I believe if you were truly bad, I wouldn't still be standing without a scratch on me."

"Why should we even believe you?" Dallen asked.

"You can't really, but if I am lying you can kill me. The name's Steve Peterson by the way. After all, I probably wouldn't trust such an offer myself. You people look like you've been out here a while. It's human nature to be skeptical, " he smiled again. I hated how much he smiled. What was left out here to be so happy about?

"We'll go with you but you're not driving. You'll tell us every direction while my friend here holds a gun to your face," I said, signaling to Khai.

"Fair enough. Shall we leave now or at dawn?"

"Now, I'm not letting my family sleep under the same roof as you."