Chapter 11 (Extraordinary)

Chapter 11: Extraordinary

Ethan Warren

May 2023

One year after outbreak

Loveland, Nebraska

Season 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, what'da'ya think?" Steve asked as we walked around the town.

"About what?"

"Everything! The walls, the work we've done inside the walls, the people. Isn't it amazing?"

"I guess so." I could feel him roll his eyes from behind me with that same smug smile spread across his pale face. Something about his whole appearance just annoyed me. He was 6'4 with natural platinum blonde hair that looked like he cut too short with safety scissors. He said he was 23 but he looked a lot younger. I guess the point I'm trying to make is my first impression of him was that he seemed to try too hard but had a hard time succeeding.

"This is the future, Mr. Warren, and I'm so jazzed that you and your family are here to be a part of it."

"Where's the infirmary?"

"You hurt or something?" He asked, looking down at me with concern but I didn't bother to stop walking and look back.

"No, I should take Juna there."

"Oh, I see. I could take you there if you want. I'm not the best at giving directions."

"Fine, I'll go get her from Rudi. But if you try anything, if you so much as lay a finger on her, I'll make you wish you walked among the dead."

"Okay man, I get the message," he smirked.

---------

---------

"It's just up ahead. Our doctor's name is Mr. Paul Anderson. He's the nicest man I've ever met. And he's great with kids. How old is she by the way?"

"A few months?" I respond, while carrying her gently in my arms.

"What day was she born?" he asked, I could feel him staring right at her as I walked in front of him. It didn't make me uncomfortable. Honestly, nothing about this man's attitude made me uneasy. It was just the fact that I didn't know anyone here. I didn't know who to trust.

"I don't know."

-------------------------------------------------

Rudolph Alinsky

------------------------------------------------

"Wow Rudi, didn't think you'd give up Juna that easily," Khai teased as she sat down on a row of steps with me.

"Shut up. I trust Ethan with her. Besides, she probably needs a doctor."

"I know you do, I'm just messing with you. So anyways, what do you think of this place?"

"I'm not sure about it. Something about that woman doesn't feel right." I felt my body tense up from just talking about her.

"Me neither. I appreciate them letting us keep our guns but it also worries me about how much control mere citizens have."

"We have to at least try to stay here. We need this. We deserve this, Khai. We've been out there for so long. I'm surprised no one's gotten into a fight over something stupid like leadership yet."

"Unless you count Lucas."

"I don't count Lucas," I responded with slight anger.

"How did we get here?" Khai asked, adjusting her cracked, brown glasses.

"We walked and drove, what do you mean?"

"Very funny. I mean, how did we just forget about everything and start a new life?"

"Because we had to."