Chapter 8 (Loveland)

Chapter 8: Loveland

Ethan Warren

May 2023

One year after outbreak

Omaha, Nebraska

Season 2

------------------------------------------

Steve conveniently had a van that he parked in an ally behind the store, the back was full of supplies. Including baby formula. It's like he was expecting to find someone out here. At least I knew that if this man was lying we wouldn't be hungry anymore after I killed him.

Ashton, Edin, Rudi, and Juna drove in the old car behind us partly because there wasn't enough room but mostly because I didn't want them to be anywhere near this man. Rudi fed Juna and hearing the bliss of silence made me smile for the first time in days.

Steve told me to drive on Pacific St for a few miles. Khai sat behind him with a knife to his throat. He didn't seem nervous but he didn't know us. If I had given Khai the order to kill him he'd be dead without question, at least I hope that's what would happen. We haven't had to decide someone's life yet. I have, but not all of us. I don't regret my decision but I'm the one who has to live with it. I don't know if we all could.

"Turn left at 80th St."

"And another left at Leavenworth St, and then a left at Loveland Dr. That's when you'll see the walls." He wasn't lying. There really were walls, now it would just come to the fact of how the people were. "You can take anything from the van, but I assure you there is supplies inside. There's even enough formula to last her until she can eat solid food."

"Thank you Steve, but even after everything, I still don't trust you or your people. A little food won't necessarily change that."

"I know you don't but a little food could at least ease the tension," he grinned, "just let me get out first, I'll tell them to open the gate."

"No, that's not happening," I said, strictly, "if they're really your people they'll open it by just seeing you sitting here. You better give them a pretty smile so they don't think we're here to rob them." He looked a little frightened by my words. I don't blame him, it kinda startled me as well.

He made eye contact with the gatekeeper, he smiled and waved and soon after, the gates began to open.

I have to admit, I was nervous. We didn't come this far just to be killed in our sleep. We also weren't at all prepared to take over this place if we had to. We might be able to if we had the ammo and knew who to trust but I still wasn't sure if I was ready to put my family at risk again. All I could hope was that I was making the right choice but I had no idea what that was supposed to look like.

---------------------------------------------------

Khai Reaver

-------------------------------------------------

I think Rudi was feeling unsure of Ethan's leadership because he asked me to write down what I thought of him. To be honest, lately I'm not sure what my opinion of Ethan Warren is. He's disoriented. He's lost too much and is afraid to loose more so he's on edge. He's making decisions that I fear he will regret. He should have talked it over with the group about going here, but it's not necessarily his fault, it's all of ours, as well. None of us question his choices, we go along with them. I, primarily. I feel like an obedient dog to him. It disgust me but I can't help it. I guess I just feel like out of all the people here, he's the most fit to lead, even if his leadership has flaws. Maybe a person could describe my devotion to him, loyalty but personally, I think I'm just simply naive. I don't think he's going to get us all killed but nothing good can come out of his behavior.