Chapter 9 (Loveland Part 2)

Chapter 9: Loveland Part 2

Ethan Warren

May 2023

One year after outbreak

Loveland, Nebraska

Season 2

--------------------------------------------------

"So how long were you out there?"

"I don't see how that matters?" I responded. I was being interviewed by a woman who knows me but I don't know her. I already hated this place. I didn't see the point to any of this "initiation ceremony."

"I assure you it does matter. You can be out there for too long, I know, I've seen people who have. Ethan, you threatened to kill an unarmed man for baby food that he didn't even have. I promise I'm not mad, I understand completely. I'm just trying to help."

"Why should I tell you about myself when I don't know a thing about you?"

"Fair enough. My name is Catherine Wood. I am the leader of this community. The man you met earlier, Steve, he works for me. He brings in survivors to help strengthen this community."

"Who made you the leader?" I interrogated. I didn't trust this woman, something about her seemed off. Something about everyone I've met already seemed off. Steve, for insistence, he seemed too hopeful, too innocent. And a man named Deshawn who greeted us on our way in, he didn't ask enough questions.

"When everything went to shit the people of this town turned to me. I had the idea to build the wall."

"Anyone could've had that idea."

"Yes, I understand but the people here have looked to me for answers from the start. I assume your people have too. I look forward to hearing about you from them. I plan to interview them as well, if you'll allow me."

"We might not be staying long enough for that," Truthfully, I wanted to stay. If this place really was all it was commercialized to be then it was a place we needed. It would be nice to feel a sense of normality for once. It would hopefully feel like how the world felt before the dead controlled it.

"I understand. You're unconvinced and that's completely valid but please, if you do plan to leave at least stay for dinner. And let our doctor take a look at everyone. Especially the baby, just to make sure she's healthy. You're also welcome to take a look around the town. Though, I would love to finish our little chat before you explore, if you would be so kind," her softly spoken British accent sent chills down my spin. I didn't want to be here but I couldn't come up with a reason as to why.

"Fine."

"Perfect. Now, how old were you in the beginning?"

"17."

"And how old are you now?"

"18."

"Where did it start for you?"

"In a school."

"What school?"

"Armstrong high school. It's in Minnesota."

"What made you come to Nebraska?"

"Nothing was left for us in Minnesota. We wanted to find something."

"What did you want to find?"

I hesitated, "I don't know." I feel she understood me, she didn't carry on the topic and I was grateful for that. Her questions made me reflect on myself. Why were we here? Why did I bring them here?

"You are the leader of your group, correct? What made you the leader of them?"

"I don't know."

"Do you see yourself as someone they should look to?"

"No."

"Why's that?'

"I don't know how to keep them alive."

"Walls can keep them alive. This place can. I understand how you must be feeling, Ethan. You feel like everything is your responsibility but it isn't. You need to be able to accept other's help or all of your family will be dead." She said that last bit while looking me directly in the eye. I was afraid but I couldn't leave. I knew my people would resent me if I sent us back out there without even giving this place a chance. If I were to force us back into the painful heat without a good reason. So we stayed, but the fear would never go away.