Chapter 16 (How the hell could you let this happen?)

Chapter 16: How the hell could you let this happen?

Ethan Warren

July 2023

14 months after outbreak

Loveland, Nebraska

Season 2

----------------------------------

(Two Days prior)

"You're a strong leader, Ethan. I can see why your people look to you. You've been increasing our supply hauls by 25%. That's very impressive. Even a few of my people respect you. I hope this means we will be able to work together. I believe we can make this place stronger if we combine our views for it's future."

"I agree, thank you, Catherine."

--------------------------------

(Now)

I felt lost after what happened to Camila. I thought Leah would blame me but she didn't. It was Camila's choice. I think Leah did blame me, but we were both sick of the constant fighting so she didn't bring it up.

Catherine let Lucas and Grace go scouting together. She doesn't know Lucas like I do. I heard her talk to them about a hoard. I should have stopped them. They brought the horde back, they broke down the walls with a semi truck. The dead filled our streets. I looked at our home with terror in my eyes.

"What the hell was that?" Rudi said as he came out of the house with Juna and Airianna. He didn't need my answer, he could see it for himself.

"Please take her, Airi," he said, putting Juna into Airi's arms, "Stay close to me."

My family flooded the streets, we held our guns firmly as we prepared for the worst. We had no home again, but we would still try to fight to save this one.

Catherine joined us on the street, she smiled as she saw all of the dead. It terrified me.

"You see Ethan, this is our future! Open your eyes!" and with that she ran at them, no weapon, absolutely nothing. She was happy to die. I knew I should have never trusted her. She told Lucas to do this. She tried to kill us.

I started to walk towards the horde. Rudi grabbed my shoulder, trying to stop me but it wasn't his place to. Everyone else followed behind me. We killed whatever we had to but my mind wasn't focused on killing the dead. I wanted to make sure Lucas was dead.

The chaos was rising fast, we were out of control, there were too many of them.

---------------------------------------

Rudolph Alinsky

--------------------------------------

I wouldn't let myself go into the horde, I couldn't risk it but I had to do something, I just didn't know what.

I saw Lucas and Grace hiding behind one of the buildings. They knew I saw them, I couldn't let them just get away, not after what they've done. But I forgot who I was supposed to be setting an example for.

I chased them down. Airianna and Juna followed behind me, I had completely forgotten they were there. I wouldn't have done what I did if I remembered they were watching. I don't think I meant to do what I did, but it doesn't change the fact that I did it.

I shot Grace in the shoulder. She stopped running but Lucas didn't come to her aid. We both left her to bleed out. I know I was the one who killed her but in a way, it kinda felt like mercy.

I took another shot, hitting Lucas in the leg but I didn't leave him. He deserved to die and I couldn't just hope that he'd bleed out or that the dead would get to him. I wanted to let Ethan do it, but I didn't. There wasn't enough time.

"Rudi, Rudi, I'm sorry," he pleaded.

"That's not good enough."

"I was just doing what she told me. I only did it because she promised me it would be good for us. I'll do whatever you want, I promise. Just please, don't kill me. "

"You don't deserve to live after everything you've put us all through. After everything you've done to Ethan! To my family! You've lost trust that you've never had. Forgive me, "Father", for I guess I've sinned," I said as I brought the gun to his face and pulled the trigger.

"Rudi?" Airianna asked, fear in her eyes. I am a monster now. How could I let this happen?