Chapter 21 (The Split Part 1)

Chapter 21: The Split part 1

Khai Reaver

December 2023

19 months after outbreak

Idaho

Season 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somehow, Edin, Steve, and I ended up in Idaho. We've been searching for Ethan and the others for over a month now. There's been no sign of any of them. The only reason we didn't just continue heading to the coast is because it just didn't feel right. We should have though.

Steve picked up Juna the night we were attacked. We've been protecting her with our lives as best we can. I know Rudolph's worried sick. I didn't even know if he was without Airi as well.

It's freezing here and we have no shelter. The winds were too strong so building a fire was out of the question. I didn't want to die here. I couldn't die. I can't let everyone down.

"We need to find somewhere for the night, Khai. There's a storm coming," Steve pointed out. He was right, the wind was picking up speed and the snow was falling harder. But there was nowhere for us to go.

"We have to stop," Edin stuttered, collapsing into the freshly-fallen snow. We all fell down next to them as they cradled Juna in their arms.

Was this the end for us? Was this as far as we were going to get in this world? At least the dead weren't the one's to do it. I would rather any death besides that.

------

It's been a few hours now. I don't remember how we managed to make it underneath some trees but we did. My head hurt and I was scared. My limbs wouldn't move. My eyes were frozen shut.

I couldn't hear Juna's cries.

I felt heat on my side. I heard the sound of wood burning. An unfamiliar voice lingered in my ears.

"It's gonna be okay, you're gonna live."

I wanted to run, I wanted to get the hell out of here. For all I know, I could be this person's next meal if they were desperate enough. They could be exactly like the people that attacked our camp, the people that took a good man out of this world for no reason.

-----

I woke up in a tent. My face was clean of sweat and dirt and a plate of food was in front of me. It was spam but I honestly couldn't care less. We hadn't eaten in days and I was beginning to feel sick.

I had no idea where Edin and Steve were.

I had no idea where I was.

I ate the food quickly and rushed out of the tent. I wanted to puke the minute I swallowed my meal. I was weak, my body was still frozen, it was hard to stand. I had frostbite on my nose and cheeks and even on my hands.

When I got out I saw a person I didn't know and Steve, he was crying and holding Juna in his arms. It took me a minute but then I understood why.

Edin wasn't here.

The unfamiliar young girl with dark brown skin and messy hair looked at me sympathetically as a tear fell from my eye.

"Sit down, next to the fire," she said, standing up and grabbing my arm as she pulled me to the fire.

No words could describe what I was feeling. I tried so hard, I gave everything I had to keep this group from losing more and I failed.

"I know this is probably not the best time but I do think the two of you deserve an explanation. First of all, my name is Tai, Tai Marsh. You don't have to tell me who you are. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. But you should know that you have to get out of here. The dead, they freeze under the snow but they will thaw and then there will be hordes. Trust me, I've seen it happen before. It got my mom and brother killed. You have to go south before the winter ends."

"We're going to California," Steve replied, blankly.

"Okay, well I can help you get there if you want, I know the way and I-" Tai said before I cut her off.

"No, you don't owe us anything."

"I do though. I couldn't carry your friend back here and the baby too. I had to get her warm. She was the first I brought back. This camp isn't far from where you guys were, I put some blankets over you but obviously it wasn't enough. Steve, he was still awake, he helped me carry you here, back to the fire. He had to rest afterwards but when I went back for Edin, they were already dead."

"You don't have to be sorry. You did what you could," Steve said as his tears began to dry, "you're just a kid anyways."

"I'm 14."

"What did you do with their body?" I asked, wiping my face which made it burn like hell.

"The snow is too deep to dig a hole. To the best of my knowledge, they're still out there."

I stood up quickly with full intent to find them. I had to bury them. I just had too.

"You shouldn't go out there. Like I said the snow's deep, it's not worth it. You could get caught up in it again."

She was right but I'll never forgive myself for leaving them out there like that and I know Ethan, Aiden, and all the others will never forgive me for not being strong enough to keep them alive. Yes, that trust was broken and no, I'm never getting it back.