Chapter 18 (The Worst)

Chapter 18: The Worst

Rudolph Alinsky

October 2023

17 months after outbreak

Nevada

Season 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was kinda getting used to living on the road now. Airi liked it, Juna did too. She was older now so it was much easier to take care of her. We could finally walk for a few hours without constant crying.

Most of the cars had either an empty tank or were broken in some way. This made everything seem slower. We couldn't really tell what season it was anymore. It felt like it should be spring but I knew it was somewhere around October.

We didn't really mind the walking, it wasn't too hot or too cold so it felt comfortable but we came to realize that the warmer the temperature the more of the dead there were. There were always a few of them in our way.

I was teaching Airianna how to protect herself. She has proven to me that she can handle herself out here but I just wanted her to be as safe as possible. She really liked hanging out with Steve, he made her smile and that wasn't something she did a whole lot. I think she finally realized that Steve was just trying to help her because he genuinely cared.

Ashton kinda unintentionally took over caring for Juna. I admit I am not the best with babies but he was and he enjoyed taking care of her.

I think about what I did to Lucas and that woman every second of the day. Maybe that's why my friends were taking over my responsibilities. They knew I was going through a lot and were just trying to make it easier on me.

I kinda wish I left Lucas for Ethan to kill but then again, there wouldn't have been any time. The three of us would probably die together if I did that.

We had to get out of there rather quickly. The horde was bigger than we thought. It killed all of the people who had lived in Loveland before us or at least made them homeless. I kinda felt bad that they lost everything while we only lost our home that we lived in for three months. But then again, I'm grateful none of us died. Why were we so lucky?

I wanted to be able to set a good example for Airianna. I wanted to be the kind caring father that she needed but that seemed almost impossible. Those may have been the first people I took from this world but I knew it wouldn't be the last but I just feared I'd end up getting used to it.

Ethan's broken now, he doesn't answer our questions, he doesn't give us orders, he just walks in a straight line, west. I know our plan is to get on a boat to an island but we need a plan B and we didn't have one. We had no plan for if something bad happens and that was a huge problem.

Eventually someone is going to die, somehow the island wouldn't work out. Our group was weak and I was powerless to strengthen it.