Chapter thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: bring out the dead

▀▄▀▄▀▄ βŘØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ ŞƗŞŦ€Ř ▄▀▄▀▄▀

"I swear this is the seventh time I've lost my jacket," Jensen muttered.

Elena looked at her brother, who was throwing the couch pillows off the couch to search for his jacket. Then she looked at Alaric.

"Morning."

"Thought we had aspirin,"

"They're in the vitamins," Elena notices a nearly-empty bottle of whiskey and an empty glass next to it on the kitchen counter. "You're hungover."

"Yeah, sorry about that. It was a bit of a weird night," Alaric admitted

"Stop apologizing, you've got nothing to apologize for."
"I told you you don't have to feel guilty about inviting Meredith over here."
The twins said in unison.

"Oh I know. And I thank you for that. But I do feel guilty for whiskey dialing her at two in the a.m."

"No you didn't."

"Wow. Just wow."

"Oh, yes I did."

"Oh, was she cool about it?" Elena asked.

"Well, as soon as these aspirin kick in and I remember the conversation, I'll let you know."

Elena laughs lightly. The doorbell rings. Sheriff Forbes is waiting outside, holding a plastic evidence bag. Elena opens the door and walks out onto the porch, follwed by Alaric and Jensen.

"Sheriff Forbes, hi. Is everything okay?" Elena asked.

"This is an unconventional conversation we're about to have. So I hope you'll protect me on it." Liz says.

"Yeah."
"Of course."
Jensen and Alaric says.

"I assume you all heard our medical examiner was murdered the night of the Wickery Bridge fundraiser."

"Yeah. Brian Walters. Why?" Alaric asked.

"We've been investigating. Someone drove this stake through his heart," Liz holds up the evidence bag with the stake in it.

"That's one of ours. I mean this is one of a set from your parents' lake house," Alaric says, then looking at the twins.

"That's why I'm here. I haven't told anyone but forensics ran it for prints and found only one clean set." She looks at Elena. "Yours."