twenty-four

Jake turns off his phone after reading Jay's text message.

Apparently, tomorrow will be the winter fest and he was asking if Jake will go. Although Jake wanted to, he found no reason to come. Winter fest was like a modern valentine dance. It was a chance for students to confess with their love interest.

Jake used to like the idea of winter fest, partly because it was really fun. Mostly because Heeseung was there beside him to watch the fireworks when the clock strucks at twelve. They were always partnered, although Heeseung performs on the stage, he made sure to be beside Jake before the fireworks starts.

Heeseung always asked him to be there, watch his performance and see the fireworks together. Heeseung would ask to enjoy the rest of the night together, under the slightest of pouring snows talking about this and that.

“Jake?” A woman's voice called from outside his closed doors.

He stood up from his bed to open the door for the elderly woman who's been serving them for years now.

“You have a visitor downstair,” the woman said.

“Who?”

“Sunghoon,” the woman smiles as she bows before leaving Jake to himself.

Why is Sunghoon visiting him now?

He closed the door behind him and decided to attend to his visitor waiting downstairs. Just as the maid said, Sunghoon was sitting in the cushioned seat like he was sitting in his own house. Well, it was partially truth because the three of them grew up together. They used to sleep with each and other's houses together.

“Why are you here? I thought you have to get ready for a show you will be attending to next week?” Jake asked, sitting in front of him.

“I'll leave on monday, for now I'm staying for the winter fest,” Sunghoon said. “Where's the snacks? It takes too long to arrive.”

Jake rolled his eyes, not a second later a maid comes out of the kitchen to deliver the snacks for the visitor.

“Do you just come here to attend the winter fest? You don't even go back to defend your thesis and did it online!” Jake says, amused.

Sunghoon laughs.

“Heeseung asked me to.”

“Huh?” Jake confusely asked.

“I'm not going to lie anymore, Heeseung has been asking me to look out for you since the first day he dump you,” Sunghoon confesses.

“Jake...” Sunghoon continued speaking, “Let's watch Heeseung's performance together.”

+++

Sunoo lays on his bed fake-reading a book as he glance at a busy Jungwon who was arranging his clothes back to the small closet they're sharing.

He was finally back for the winter fest.

Although Sunoo was beyond happy he wouldn't have to spend the nights alone anymore, he also feels a little bit nervous. Riki's voice still ringing in his head on repeat.

“Don't try to ignore me again, that won't work.”

What if Riki suddenly appears out of nowhere when he was with Jungwon? What if Jungwon will know what happened while he was gone? What if Jungwon—

“I've met the freshman on my way back here, earlier,” Jungwon suddenly speaks. “He's looking for you.”

“H-huh?” Sunoo nervously asked, guilt eating him up.

“I already told him to leave you alone, don't worry,” Jungwon said.

Sunoo didn't respond to that.

Should he tell Jungwon he spent time with Riki? It would be better if he will tell Jungwon himself.

“Jungwon?”

Sunoo heaves a deep sigh, contemplating. Jungwon looks back at him, their gaze meeting.

“Why?” The younger asked.

Sunoo stared at his bestfriend's eyes, the memory of the past flashing back on his mind.

“Why? Isn't it true?” Jungwon asked him.

They were in the middle of the pathway with a lot of students watching them fight.

Sunoo started it when he snatched Jungwon's bag to get his attention. He just have seen the pictures circulating social media about him and Beomgyu. Those pictures that he've sent Jungwon last week. There were also videos of them and Sunoo knew that only Jungwon can have. There were screenshot of conversations. All of those are the secrets he shared with Jungwon, his bestfriend.

He just wanted to know why Jungwon would post about it and create one lie. A lie that's affecting both him and Beomgyu.

“You were dating Beomgyu!” Jungwon shouted.

“No! We're just friends, like the two of us.”

Jungwon shook his head, “We aren't that close. I've never even once sleep at your house, or you sleept at mine. But then, Beomgyu is sleeping over at yours, not just once.”

“So what? Not because—” Sunoo's words were cut off when a girl pushes him away from Jungwon.

Sunoo fell on the cold cement, students laughing at him.

“Get away from Jungwon, we don't need a gay in our squad,” the boy, which is one of the member of their dance group, said.

Sunoo ignores the comment.

“Jungwon,” He called.

But instead of helping him, Jungwon looks away.

“I'm not your bestfriend anymore,” Jungwon said before he walks away with the other members.

“Sunoo? Hey,” Jungwon's voice echoed in his ears.

Sunoo blinked.

“What's wrong?” Jungwon worriedly asked, seeing how Sunoo's eyes teared up.

Sunoo shook his head, “I just...miss you.”

Jungwon smiled, “Should we get ice cream after I finish this?”

Sunoo only nodded his head to agree.

He cannot tell it to Jungwon. He was afraid Jungwon will make the same betrayal and Sunoo cannot handle anymore of it. Once is enough.

+++

A/N:

The reason how they remained bestfriend will be on the next update. I feel bad for making Jungwon's character a traitor.

tengyu_