fifty-two

“Sunoo,” Jungwon called from the door. “We’re running late.”

Jungwon’s voice cuts through Sunoo’s thoughts and as if he finally woke up to the reality that it’s Monday again.

“What’s wrong?” Jungwon asked as Sunoo started following him to the hallway.

“Just another bad dream,” Sunoo shrugged, sighing deeply.

It’s the same dream about his father gasping for air, again.

“Maybe it’s a sign that you should visit home at least for once,” Jungwon said.

Sunoo quickly shook his head.

Jungwon shrugged as they walked out the dorm lobby.

“Your boyfriend is patiently waiting for you,” Jungwon said with a small hint of teasing in his voice.

Sunoo looked over to the corner where Riki was standing, their gaze meeting.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” Sunoo said.

Yet,” Jungwon added. “I should go first.”

Jungwon walked away before Sunoo could speak again. Just as then, Riki stopped in front of him with a displeased look on his face.

“My class started thirty minutes ago,” Riki said.

Sunoo only raised an eyebrow.

“But I don’t care,” Riki continued as he put his hand in Sunoo’s, forcing their fingers to intertwine. “I’m always late in my class anyways.”

Sunoo stared at their hands for a little while, still not used to this kind of skin ship. Especially because this was something he didn’t imagine could happen. A man and a man. A very uncommon pair.

But it was him and Riki, and at some point Sunoo didn’t care. Although there was still a loud voice trying to tell him that this was wrong, Sunoo kept pushing it away. It was him and Riki.

Sunoo smiled up at the younger, “What time does your last class end?”

They began walking towards the building for their first class. Them holding hands gets the attention of students but no one ever says anything.

“Why? Are we going on a date?”

“No,” Sunoo denied. “I was just asking.”

“I have a class until five,” Riki said. “And I need to be back home right after because my housemates are acting all strange again.”

“Eh?” Sunoo confusedly asked.

“Well,” Riki shrugged. “It’s unexplainable, but I hope they can settle whatever the problem is, again. They kept meddling with my plans.” Riki said, half-complaining.

+++

Riki tried again, waiting for the other line to pick up the call but to no attempt. He was getting upset, actually. Why can’t his mother bother to pick up his calls?

He turns on his bed, still trying to dial the number.

Riki only wanted to talk to his mother, tell him about the current events in his life. Inform her that he was happy, he found someone who can make him happy. Even though he already knows it’s impossible to talk to her, Riki still tries.

He wanted to confirm that his mother still cares for him, because if she didn’t, why is her number still ringing after five years? Why is she still sending him birthday greetings?

Riki stood up from his bed after his call went straight to voicemail. He walked out of his room and entered Heeseung’s. He found the older cozily laid on the bed with his laptop open, Heeseung was watching something.

The older man looked up at him, confusedly eyeing Riki as the latter sat beside Heeseung in the bed. Riki placed his head on the elder’s shoulder.

“Why?” Heeseung asked.

Riki remained silent for a moment.

“You were only smiling earlier, what happened now?” Heeseung worriedly asked.

“Nothing,” Riki said, half lying.

“Riki, you know I’m always here to listen,” Heeseung said. “Was it about Sunoo? Aren’t you two already dating?”

Riki shook his head.

“It was a rumor all around the university,” Heeseung said. “I wonder why you’re not telling me anything. Is everything really fine between the two of you?”

“We’re not dating, yet,” Riki says. “And I’m not telling you anything because I know you’re still going through something. I don’t want to add up to your problem.”

Heeseung set the laptop aside as he faced Riki, holding both of his hands.

“I’m more like your brother than Jay is,” Heeseung said. “And you don’t have to worry about me, everything’s going fine but not smooth, honestly.”

“Why didn’t you continue your plan on asking Jake out, then?” Riki asked.

Heeseung looked away.

“It’s complicated,” Heeseung said. “Jake likes Sunghoon. They liked each other…and Sunghoon likes me too.”

“I already know that,” Riki said. “Jake likes you back, and same goes for you towards Jake. What’s stopping you?”

Heeseung sighed, “I don’t want to hurt Sunghoon further.”

Riki smiled flatly.

“Why do it seems to me like you’re considering Sunghoon’s feelings?” Riki asked.

“We’re friends-”

“That’s not what I meant,” Riki cuts him off.

Heeseung didn’t talk further. It’s obvious that he didn’t like to continue talking about this matter so Riki didn’t push through the topic. Instead, Riki laid on the bed and hugged Heeseung’s pillows.

“Can I sleep here tonight?” Riki asked.

“Not until you tell me all about you and Sunoo,” Heeseung says. “When are you going to officially date him?”

“I don’t know,” Riki says. “He only likes me.”

Heeseung let out a laugh as he ruffled the younger boy’s hair, finding Riki’s sulky voice adorable.

“You should make a move already before someone can outshine you. I heard Sunoo is popular among his class-”

“Stop making me overthink things. You know I can’t stand those thoughts!” Riki complained, making the elder laugh harder.

Through Heeseung’s goofiness, Riki managed to forget about his mother and the night ended with him thinking of his next move. Heeseung was right.

+++

A/N:

Enhypen in MOA Arena on February but I can only afford one ticket...I originally saved it for SVT in December, now I'm torned which group should I attend 🙀

tengyu_