Chapter 6.3: State Jynxist

---

ILIAS PAYNE

We asked a couple of people about this Dr Creed and were always pointed to a clinic that belonged to an unathletic blonde man in his early thirties. The clinic currently had no patients and the aesthetic was similar to Mother's. There were dozens of small and large paintings hanging from the wall, I'm sure that the bookshelves in the back had the same books we did, and aside from the desk that was littered with mail and letters, the clinic was neatly kept.

"You're not Dr Creed," Camaro flared.

"I am," the young doctor said calmly.

"Do you remember twelve years ago when you went to the village of Ilias and helped the doctor give birth to a son named Gilead?"

"Of course, King Arthureus sent me there personally."

"I see," Camaro smiled, drawing his sword and pressing it against the young doctor's neck.

"What the—this is assault!" the doctor accused.

"Dr Creed did go to a village and help the doctor deliver a son. In fact, the kid's right there." Camaro glanced at me. "Kid, why don't you tell Dr Creed your name?"

"It's Ilias of the village Gilead."

"People mix things up all the time," the doctor mumbled. "Ilias and Gilead sound similar and it's your fault for delivering false information. What more do you want?"

"Yeah? If you are Dr Creed, then how come all of the letters and mail on your desk are addressed to a Milton Brown? I don't know about you, but you look more like a Milton Brown than a Viktor Creed. You're definitely hiding something and I don't appreciate you impersonating someone I respect. So if you don't tell me where he is, I might just carve you with this sword of mine."

I want to see what Camaro's cursed artifact can do, but not like this.

"And then what, Colonel? I know the military can get away with a lot of things, but not carving an innocent doctor. And even if you do decide to attack me, your sword is completely blunt."

"You're wrong in both instances," Camaro said. "Does that painting hold any sentimental value to you?"

"No."

Camaro dragged his blade against Dr Brown's chest and, from one corner to the other, slashed the painting he asked about. "This sword is a cursed artifact that I discovered. So I named it Slash. Do you know what Slash does?"

Dr Brown stayed silent.

"Slash has a blunt blade, so you're right about it not being able to cut physically. However, if I sheath the sword back into its scabbard within twelve seconds, anything that would've been cut within those twelve seconds will transfer instantaneously." Camaro sheathed Slash and just then, the painting was sliced in half from corner to corner, along the imaginary cut Camaro put on it earlier. "If I sheathed my sword one second earlier, then your chest would have a giant gash and there would be no evidence linking the attack back to me."

It's a bizarre ability, but it's not at all that useless. Sure it'll be awkward to use, but it seems as though the colonel knows how to handle it. And if push comes to shove, he can still deal physical damage by using the pointy end.

"Let's try this again," Camaro dragged Slash against all of Dr Brown's limbs. "Where is Dr Creed and why are you impersonating him?"

The bookshelf at the back slid open as a man with a wrinkled face stepped out. "Don't hurt him. I'm right here."