Chapter 14.2: Ray of Light

---

JOHN

When Colonel Camaro visited me in the dungeons to ask for my help, I thought it was one of three things.

One was that he was playing a joke on me. His unit threw shade at me during our travels so he might just be getting my hopes up to tear me down. I mean, the government and military planning to destroy the country and rebuild it sounded ludicrous.

Two was that he was plotting to frame me. He would let me escape and 'find' me to get a promotion. At the very least, it'd make him look good.

But the colonel wasn't the type of person to do the first two things. Camaro had a grand dream, but he would never try to achieve that goal by throwing people under.

Which meant that the third option of him telling the truth was the correct answer.

He didn't give me much to go off, but it was enough to let me know that this plot he'd unearthed was consequential. If he were to come to me for help, his situation must've been dire.

Is my family in on this too? No, I don't believe it one bit. Whatever plot this is, there's no way that they would play a part in it.

If I were in Camaro's shoes, I would've kept my mouth shut and not done anything. I would've been too scared of getting caught and punished to actually do something.

Camaro and I were two different people.

The guards tell us news from the outside which meant everyone down here was caught up with everything regarding the Great Shuffle. The colonel had lost his village, half of the villagers were missing and among those were the people he cared most about, his unit was split up, and his closest subordinate was being kept hostage.

Yet he still pushed forward.

It was true that he had ruined my entire life, but the foundations of it were built on ill intentions. He tore it down and set me on a better path because, even after everything, he believed I could change.

My Tarot card was The Fool and it represented new beginnings. I had been wondering if that fortune was wrong, but it wasn't. The card was spot on. It just took a long time for it to be fulfilled—and it was none other than Colonel Camaro to do it.

I have my answer.

The colonel dropped by at what I could only guess was the same time the next day. He was holding the same documents as yesterday and along with a thick novel.

I handed back the flask.

He shook it. "It's still full."

"I didn't want the alcohol to impair my judgement."

"So you considered it."

"Yes, and I'm afraid I cannot help you. I can't risk everything just like this. I'm sorry."

Camaro sighed. "If that's your answer, then so be it. I can't force you to do what you don't want to do. If you change your mind, knock three times fast and two times slow the next time I'm down here."

He took his leave.

I knocked on the bars three times fast and two times slow. "Wait, Colonel. Hold on."

"Yeah?"

"I was testing you."

"Testing me? You're not really in a position to test me, you know?"

"I know, but I wanted to see if the person I think you are is actually you. Most people would come and ask favours thinking their reasons were justified. If I had said no to anyone else, they would've spent a long time forcing me to say yes—some might even blackmail me. But not you. You respected my answer. I'm sorry for testing you."

"I'll allow it."

"I'm not an honourable man, by any means. You know that as much as me, Colonel. The Armstrong family is dedicated to the military and I know that they would never side themselves with people who have a plot to tear this country down. I was disowned by my grandfather; from the house, from any lands and titles, from his heart. But I still love my family all the same and it pains me that they've been worshipping liars. I don't take you for a manipulator, so I know only truth leaves your mouth. I've decided I want to become more like you."

The colonel didn't say a word. He just stared at me holding back a grin.

"Everyone had given up on me and no one is on my side. Not my soldiers, not my unit, and not my family. I've had no visitors except for you. You were the only one to see right through me and set me on the right path." I glanced around my cell, focusing on the bars that locked me in. "I've made mistakes to get in here and I'm not going to pretend to be a saint, but believe me when I say that I want to pay my due. I don't have much to offer, but I will lend you whatever help you may need."

"You're sure about this? If things don't go the way I planned, you'll find yourself in a worse situation."

"Like I said. I'll lend you whatever help you need."

The colonel nodded with a subtle grin. "Do you know the Vigenere Cipher, John?"

"Yes. A code that, unless you know the keyword, would otherwise be impossible to crack."

"The letters I've written are written in that code."

"That's just more work for no reason."

"If I were caught with this these notes not in code, they'll have Doria executed. I'm a State Jynxist and it's fair for me to argue this is research I'm working on. Especially since my parents were researchers as well."

"And if I were caught with it? The writing will be in your hand."

"I'm down here a lot. Just say I left it behind." Camaro slipped the novel through the bars. "Don't open it until I leave. I want you to crack the message and memorize everything. Become pious for this scripture."

"How long do I have?"

"A week. Can you do that?"

"That's easy enough, but what about the guards? They inspect our cells every three days."

"Move to the side."

I followed his order and pressed my back against the side wall.

Camaro snapped, summoning one of his Dolls in my cell. It unsheathed its rapier and began stabbing the mortar around a brick until it was able to be pulled out. The Doll then dug out a small cavity within the earth big enough to hide a small novel before disappearing.

I kicked the dirt outside my cell where Camaro spread it out until it was invisible.

"Does it fit?" he asked.

The novel was snug within the cavity and covering it with the brick made it look like the walls had not changed.

"Good, do you know how to shut your gates?" he asked.

"Like jynx? I do."

"I'll come back in a week to break out. Memorize everything by then and keep practicing shutting your gates. Once you escape, you will be hunted and they will try to find you using the natural mana flowing within your body."

"Where will I go?"

"I'll tell you when the time comes. Until then, stick to my instructions." Camaro pulled out the flask. "Are you sure you don't want a drink? Even a shot?"

"It will impair my thinking. I'm trained in the Drunken Fist so if it hits me bad, I'll probably break out of this cell and ruin this whole thing."

"Suit yourself," he said taking a sip. "By the way, the word for the cipher is the main export of Rockbell."

Once he was gone, I began deciphering his code.