Chapter 16.4: Seven Sentinels

---

JAIME FONTOYA

"So, what was my father like?" I asked as we walked through town.

Askeladd chuckled. "He was obnoxious and got into a lot of trouble when we were in the Valois military. He never listened to anyone."

"Ah, so that's where I got it from. Everyone back in Gilead always complained about how I never listen."

"His obnoxiousness was how you happened. It's taboo for elves to marry terrans because of the drastic difference in lifespans. Terrans only live a tenth of an elf's life. We all warned your father about how he'll be heartbroken if he marries a terran girl. He didn't listen."

"How did Mother and Father meet?"

"When the Nelbrandts militarized the nation, many soldiers from the old houses transferred over. Your father and I included. We were stationed at a town that had Lancaster elitists with orders to make sure an uprising didn't happen. Your father and I were always guarding this one area. Every day, there was this little girl that came by. It was obvious she had a crush on your dad—the cute kid crush. Your father and I went along with it, accepting the flowers she gave. As she grew older, your father became fond of her. Once she came of age, they married."

"Wait, wait, wait. My mother was a little girl and my father..."

"Yeah. As I said, your father is scum. But, if an elf were to fall in love with a terran, we always thought that marrying younger was better because you could cherish more years together."

"You're an adventurer now," I pointed out. "Why did you leave the military?"

"I grew bored of standing guard all year round. I wanted excitement and the thrill of not knowing if today would be my last. Your mother joined the military when she turned sixteen so she and your father could stick together. King Arthureus thought they were a lovely couple and gave them jurisdiction of Thanril—where you were born."

I clenched a fist. "Their love story was already short, yet it was cut much drastically shorter."

Askeladd nodded. "Yes, I'm so sorry about that. I don't know why Scar would target them. They were lovely people and tried to remain invisible."

"What's your Tarot card?"

"Don't know. Never got one. It's not mandatory and I just see it as an omen. Especially for a wild warrior like me. Besides, I don't believe in it."

"Mine is Justice," I told him. "It's very fitting."

"Why so?"

"Because I will hunt down Scar and kill him. But before I strike the final blow, I will say to him: Hello, my name is Jaime Fontoya. You killed my parents. Prepare to die!"

"Justice or is it vengeance?" he wondered. "There's a fine line between the two. You've got to be careful not to cross it. If you do, there may never be coming back."

"So you're saying I shouldn't try to avenge my parents?"

"I'm not saying that. I want to do the same. Just don't get so caught up in it that killing Scar is the only thing you can amount your life to. Either you fail tragically to reach that goal or live the rest of your life with no purpose after you achieve it."

Askeladd wanted to show his appreciation to the people who joined. We dropped by the marketplace and bought cheap cuts of meat for tonight's supper.

"By the way, how far are you planning on travelling?" I asked.