Chapter 14.1: Ray of Light

---

RAY VAN CAMARO

Code was a system of words, letters, numbers, and symbols substituted for other words for the purposes of secrecy. It was a way to communicate using a language only two parties knew and it was a lesson every soldier was taught the moment they enlisted in the military.

It was something I was always fond of.

My parents were protective of their research and I knew they used some sort of code to hide it in plain sight. I never found out what it was, but I had a feeling it had something to do with my father's music sheets.

King Arthureus had been piling work for me as a way to keep me busy. He was smart too and picked work he knew I wouldn't skimp on like the budget for refugees and lowering the crime in the city. Most of my time was spent in the dungeons keeping track of prisoners and interviewing them.

The guards down there had even gotten into the habit of going out for a smoke break when I show up.

I spend the little free time I had locked in my room jotting down notes in code of the plot I had uncovered. A knock came upon my door which made me hide the notes in a thick fiction book I always carried around with me.

Wrath's half-melted face greeted me. "The king wants to see you."

"I didn't do anything."

"Who says you did? He just wants to see you. Says it's important."

Wrath led me to the throne room, where I found King Arthureus sitting comfortably on the quartz throne. By his side were Queen Catelyn and Prince Bradley. Standing behind them was Doria. There were also other nobles gathered in the room, their eyes fixated on the jester that held the floor. He was juggling swords at the moment.

I stayed by Wrath's side until the show finished, leaving the throne room empty except for the Royal Family and a handful of guards.

"Chariot!" King Arthureus smiled. "How's the day been?"

"I've been busy with work. That show was a great stress reliever."

Catelyn and Bradley simply watched our conversation.

Do they know about the king's motives? If Arthureus summoned me here for questioning while they were present, then they might know.

"If I ask you for a favour, would you grant it?" the king asked.

"Can I even refuse?"

"It would be bad manners." Arthureus bent down to his son's seat. "Go on. Ask him. He won't bite."

Prince Bradley twiddled with his fingers and mumbled the words. "Father mentioned that you have an armoured lizard."

Huh?

I shook off my confused look. "I do, little prince. Why do you ask?"

"C-can I see him?"

Now I'm really confused.

"See him?"

The queen massaged her son's shoulder. "You see, Colonel, Bradley has developed an interest in animals lately. Do you know one of your fellow State Jynxists named Ivan?"

"Yes, Karma Chameleon. We've met a few times."

"Yes, he's a zoologist and a professor at the city's university. Bradley loved spending time with him and his animals. But lately, Arthureus has been overworking him. First Headrig's Pass, then the Maze Labyrinth, then back to Headrig's Pass. You're no zoologist, but your armoured lizard is a rare animal. I'm sure Bradley would be satisfied with him until Ivan comes back."