Chapter 4.5: Dormant Talent

---

ILIAS PAYNE

"So, the colonel told me about your little duel with Jaime," Trisha said as we ate our dinner.

"I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for? It wasn't your fault that Jaime acts up. Speaking from experience, I used to act like her when the colonel and I were your age."

"Oh. So what about our duel?"

"The colonel was impressed. He thought you would grow up with your nose in books, so he was surprised when you fought him. He wants to hone it, so he asked for my permission and I granted it. You will train alongside Jaime in the art of swordplay."

Camaro wouldn't be able to teach me anything new, but my child brain was ecstatic. At least my swordsmanship won't come out of nowhere.

"Mother, do you think I picked up the way of the sword from Father?" I asked, trying to hide my true skills.

"Definitely not, your father is good at many things. Swordsmanship, however, isn't one of them."

"Who is he? I've been getting curious."

"Ilias, you will learn of your father yourself."

"Could you at least tell me why he isn't here raising me with you? I don't want to wait just for him to never show up."

"Ilias!" she yelled.

I pushed for an answer way too far. This was my own fault.

"Sorry."

"No, it's my fault. You see all the other kids with their fathers so it's only natural to ask about your own," Mother sighed. "I will not tell you anything about him because he asked me to keep his identity hidden from you. He left for important matters and he'll be gone for a long time, but he said he'll be back. I know in my heart that he'll keep his word. Maybe I'm being selfish, Ilias, but please be patient. For me."

I nodded. "Of course, Mother."

When the next day came, Camaro continued his lesson from yesterday. This time, we spent the morning learning about the types of creatures and plants that inhabited labyrinths and the loot they drop when killed or harvested.

Jaime was surprisingly focused, raising her hand to clear up any questions she had and to answer trivia Camaro would throw at us. Though she would occasionally yawn and stare out the window.

Jaime was trying so hard to learn and it wasn't fair that I had an adult's mind, so I asked questions and answered incorrectly along with her.

When lunch came, Private Gama came to report that Tank had been acting grumpy. The armoured lizard might have eaten something that upset his stomach. Camaro grabbed his lunch and ate it on his way to Tank, leaving us with Lieutenant Doria who was doing paperwork with Sergeant Hendrik.

"Hey, Jaime, has the colonel told you about your parents?"

"No, I don't know anything about them other than they were both in the military and that my mother was an elf and my father was a terran. The colonel doesn't talk to me about them. Even when I ask he says he'll tell me when the time comes."

"That makes two of us. You know about my family situation, right?"

"I think. Auntie Trish raises you by herself, doesn't she?"

"Exactly. My father is out there somewhere, but my mother won't tell me who he is. She said he left for an important reason, but shouldn't she be the most important?"