Chapter 5.9: The Hierophant

---

ILIAS PAYNE

By the time I was twelve, which was around six months after Neon's Comet fragmented in the sky, Heloise ran out of things to teach me. But because of her contract with us, she was not able to leave until I passed her test.

Truth be told, I was still perplexed on how to destroy the boulder on the opposite side of the ravine. I snuck off with Jaime to the ravine every chance I got to try and pass Heloise's test. I wanted to do it under her nose so I could surprise her and make her proud.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do it.

I've concluded that no spell in my arsenal could ever destroy the boulder from where I was. My skills in the sword may have been taken aback, but my mind still held onto its teachings.

Swordsmen were close combat fighters that required quick level-headed thinking to be successful. There was no time to think outside of the box. But jynxists were a support class. No jynxist could ever win against a warrior head-on.

The objective wasn't to destroy the boulder.

It was: how can I do so while adhering to the rules?

Jaime accompanying me certainly didn't help either. She would always suggest things that a swordsman would.

"Just use Water Cannon harder."

How do I cast a spell harder?

No matter how I tried to explain it to her, the base stats for Water Cannon was set. There was no way I could tweak it to shoot out more water or shoot it out stronger.

I knew I could destroy the boulder, but I had no push to do so. I struggled because if I became a jynxist, I would throw away the last bits of identity that made me me.

"Are you delaying your progress to destroy the boulder?" Heloise asked one time while we were hanging up clothes to dry.

"It's just hard."

"It is but, with your skills, I'm sure you can do it easily. No, you could've done this months ago if you really tried. Why delay? I cost a lot and I'm sure Mistress Trisha, though she's fond of me, would love it if she didn't have to pay me anymore."

If I destroyed that boulder, I would be destroying the last remnants of identity I had. The only thing I had now was the fact that I wasn't officially a jynxist yet which meant I could still be considered a swordsman. But if I were to graduate from Heloise, then I will lose who I once was.

I'm scared.

Terrified.

Afraid that I would lose myself and forget everything I used to be.

Suddenly, Heloise hugged me from behind.

"What's this for?"

"I don't know. I saw that you were feeling uneasy and every time I felt that way, you would always do this."

I put a trembling hand on Heloise's arm.

"If you're scared, there's no need. I'll come with you."

The walk from the house to the ravine would always take Jaime and I around fifteen minutes. But today, it felt longer. Each step drew a hardened heartbeat in my chest. The air hung heavy like it was closing in.

I don't want to do this.

When we got to Tank, he inspected us before heading back to his bed of hay and laying down.