Chapter 13.3: The Chariot

---

RAY CAN CAMARO

I decided to enter the military when I turned twelve. If I was going to protect the people I care about, where better to start?

However, one must be at least sixteen years of age to enter the military. Fortunately, there was a pre-military program in the Capital for people under the age of sixteen. It was a program to train youths that wanted to be soldiers. Anyone who transitioned from it was promoted to officer upon entering, skipping the ranks before it.

Pops was supportive when I told him my intentions. Surprisingly, the Payne family was too.

When the new year came and it was time to hand in the yearly report, Pops and his unit escorted me to the Capital. Uncle Tristan even temporarily gifted me Tank (military personnel were allowed to bring their own mounts).

Before we left, Trisha, Czeslaw, and I had our Tarot card readings from Enyaba the seer.

"Who wants to go first?" she asked.

Trisha raised her hand, mixing the deck chaotically. "Me!" She pulled out a card that depicted a woman sitting on a throne holding a sceptre in the midst of a sea of grain. "The Empress."

"Ah. The card of maternal influence and family. The Empress represents a desire for the creation of life, romance, art, or starting a business."

Czeslaw nudged her with his elbow. "Romance. I wonder who you're eyeing."

She pushed his face away. "Someone with hair."

Czeslaw went next and pulled out a card containing an old man holding a staff in one hand and a lantern with a six-pointed star in the other. "The Hermit."

Trisha pointed at him and laughed. "Ahahaha! Hermit? You're going to be homeless! You're going to have a family and run away from your wife and kids. That fits you so much!"

Enyaba slammed a fist onto the table. "No interruptions! If you interrupt, you won't get a reading!"

Czeslaw elbowed Trisha in the gut, causing her to bend over in pain. "Sorry about that, Enyaba. Please continue with my reading."

Enyaba rubbed her chin. "You are in a phase of introspection. You are drawing attention inwards and looking for answers within. You are in need of a period of inner reflection, away from the current demands of your position."

He scratched his head. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"That's for your future to decide." She turned to me. "Your turn."

I cut the deck in half and pulled out a card that had a prince holding a sword being swiftly pulled by two horses in a chariot. "The Chariot."

"Ah. The Chariot represents moving forward through sheer hard work and commitment—moving forward in a positive direction to be victorious." Enyaba chuckled. "This is very interesting indeed. Three Major Arcana cards in a row. You three are very special. You'll have interesting futures. That I can promise."

We gathered outside where Pops and his unit were waiting.

"Hey, Old Man, what's your tarot card?" Czeslaw asked.

"Will you stop calling me Old Man?" He sighed. "I have The High Priestess. If I remember correctly, it's a card of mystery, stillness, and passivity. Apparently, I have to retreat and reflect on my situation and trust my instincts. Things around me are not what they appear to be."

"Is that a Major Arcana card?" Trisha asked.

"It is."

"You're just like us. I'm The Empress, Czeslaw is The Hermit, and Ray is The Chariot."