Chapter 19.3: Justice

---

JAIME FONTOYA

One moment Mondatta was screaming for Ilias to begin the attack and the next moment I was knocked into the water.

What happened?

The bubble that had kept me protected flickered until it no longer enveloped me.

Did we get Messina?

I pulled myself up and found Mondatta floating in the lake surrounded by her own blood, face down. The waves bobbed her up and down.

But the body beside her wasn't Messina. The staff in his hand and his skinny body meant it was only one person.

"What? Ilias? No, it can't be..."

He was floating on his back as blood spurted out of his wounds—a giant gash opening him up.

No, he's playing a prank. There's no way he'll let himself be taken out that easily. He's a State Jynxist. Things like this aren't supposed to happen to him.

"Messina is still alive!" Askeladd moved his sword to a defensive position. "He's bested us!"

It's impossible. He's really—

"Jaime, pick up your sword and get up!" Askeladd ordered. "We can still take out Messina."

"Askeladd, there's no—"

"Jaime, pull yourself together."

What's this feeling?

It's like a hole has formed within my heart. It hurts so much.

Have I been stabbed? No...

I can't explain it, but my heart starts to flutter every time I think of Ilias. Is this how I really feel about him?

If it is, then I'm too late. He's never going to know the truth.

The splashes of water made their way towards me as Messina went to cut me down. Just before he did, Askeladd leapt forward and intercepted him. They exchanged blows faster than my eyes could register.

Clash! Clash! Clash!

Messina exploded in front of Askeladd, slicing him in half from the hip. Red seeped into his clothes, dividing him.

I held out my hand. "Askeladd..."

We locked gazes as if knowing what was next for him. That one look seemed as if he was entrusting me with everything that was on his shoulders.

"Jaime, you take it from here..." he mumbled, splitting into two as he crashed into the water.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

They're dead!

Mondatta, Ilias, Askeladd—all of them were taken out in a matter of seconds!

They're all dead and I'm the only one standing!

Was this Messina's power?

The three of them were much stronger than me, so there was no way I stood a chance.

The jet of water zoomed behind me as Messina stopped, panting. "This is what happens when you get between me and my fate. You are nothing but mere obstacles I must overcome."

I crawled away from him, making my way to Ilias and cradling his body.

Ba-dump...

Ilias was pale, his eyes were unmoving, and he'd lost a lot of blood, but he still had a pulse. It was weak, but the wound missed his heart.