Chapter 17.2: Omen of Wild Warriors

---

ILIAS VAN PAYNE

We finally arrived at the village.

The map the farmers brought with them painted a vivid image of the village. My imagination wasn't far off.

The village was still in its beginning stages. If expanded properly, it would grow to resemble Gilead in several decades. Thirty-five wooden huts with straw roofs spread apart varying in different sizes. Larger structures were built here and there which I could guess were trades buildings. I think one of them might even be a church.

The village itself didn't have any walls protecting the houses. To the west was the ten-acre field that provided their income. The fields, even though they carried wheat, looked like rice fields without water. The fields were dug out and were roughly a foot deeper than the surface of the ground.

North was the lake labyrinth that had been mentioned. Hearing the word labyrinth scared a lot of people. But this labyrinth didn't feel that strong and most of its monsters would be dwelling in the water. The only thing dangerous about it were the shores. This lake's deepest parts were the shores and its shallowest was in the centre. A child could fall in and drown or get picked off by monsters.

To the east was a thick evergreen forest surrounded by foliage.

Askeladd was right about one thing—this village was vulnerable to an attack on all sides. A mounted attack from the east and south. A siege from the west using the shrubs as cover. And if the bandits had, they could even attack from the north using boats.

If Thaddeus and Erina were here, they could combine their abilities and make glass walls. It wouldn't be strong, but it'd be something. I wonder how the two of them are doing.

We came from the south, climbing up the hills that hid the village. The road winded up over the hill which the ten of us stood on.

The people in the village were in their own little world, working and living their own lives. Three dozen were tending to the crops, kids were playing in one area, and a handful of men were building houses—this place looked peaceful.

"Everyone!" Toshi cupped his hands around his mouth and shouted to the village. "We're back! Seven have decided to help us!"

The villagers locked their gazes at us. A moment passed before they dropped what they were doing and fled into their houses.

Toshi chuckled nervously. "They must think we're the bandits."

We made our way down the hill and into the village, finding the people cowering in their homes and peeking at us through their windows and doors.

The three farmers who recruited us went around.

"What happened?" Toshi questioned. "Why is everyone hiding? We're not the bandits! It's us three. We've brought back seven strong warriors that have agreed to protect us!"

Even the pessimistic Ritsu joined in. "What's wrong with you all? Come out! Come out and greet your guests—your sentinels! Is this any way to treat the people who decided to help us?!"

None of the villagers moved an inch. They all remained wary, spectating us from the safety of their homes. Even the crying of children was heard.

Jaime began poking the alarm bell that hung by the well. We had this back in Gilead—an alarm to let everyone know that there was an emergency. I slapped her hand to prevent her from accidentally clanging it.

Askeladd found the situation amusing, scratching his chin and grinning at the three farmers whose faces were starting to turn red.

"I feel so welcomed," Tony jested. "The way everyone is reacting shows that they want us here."