Chapter 16.3: Seven Sentinels

---

ILIAS VAN PAYNE

As I wandered around town looking for the twins with mismatched hair, I ran into Hanzo on his knees begging for an adventurer's help. The adventurer, noticing he was a farmer, scoffed and walked away.

I helped him up. "Don't beat yourself up about it."

"This is difficult," Hanzo sighed. "Every single person I brought back seemed eager to join when Ser Askeladd explained the situation. But they all got angry when he says the only reward we can offer is food."

"Adventurers are strong and proud. Many of them won't stoop down so low, especially if they have nothing to gain."

"You were looking for the twins Ser Askeladd was talking about, right? Did you find them?"

"No, not yet. But I asked around and everyone's leaving a trail. The common information is that they were headed towards the Rohan building."

"Are you sure it's them?"

"I think it's hard to mistake twins with pink and blue hair for someone else. Come, let's walk together."

Hanzo came to my side as we traversed through the busy streets. We were constantly yelled at to either buy merchandise or get out of the way.

"It must've been scary," I said, trying to make small talk. "Being the only one to hear about what's to come."

"Yeah, but your situation is even worse than ours. I still find it hard to believe, but I choose to. You're laying your lives for us after all."

"Jaime told you?"

"Yeah, she ran her mouth while you were in the privy. She's very energetic."

"Agreed. I don't know where she gets all that energy from." I pointed to the longbow strapped around him. "How good are you?"

"I only use this to hunt deer in the land around our village. I'm the best, but I'm no marksman. This bow is what caused all of this in the first place. I was trying to figure out where to hunt when the bandits happened to just stroll by."

"So it's a lucky charm. I'd suggest not losing it. And don't downplay your skill."

Hanzo reverted the conversation back to the previous topic. "Your situation is much worse than ours and you and Jaime are strong enough to pull through."

"Don't compare our struggles, they're different. Protecting your home from a company of bandits trying to kill you and trying to go home with no money are two different things. Jaime and I would struggle if our positions flipped."

"But still, even with your struggles you still find a way to help us. Everyone back in the village will hate you two because it makes them look weak."

"That's fine. We're helping each other. Jaime and I are strong enough to fight off bandits but we're in need of food and shelter. Your village can spare food and shelter but isn't strong enough to fight off a threat. That's mutualism."

Hanzo kept to himself for a while. "Tell me, Ilias, and be honest. If you didn't get teleported here and you had money, would you have helped us?"

"Now that's a difficult question." I stared at him. He did ask for the truth. "We would've said no and walked away like most of the people you've been asking."

"I see, so you're just using us."

"Yeah, we are. And you are getting people to fight for your village for no reward. Not only that, you're fine with two children dying for you. I'd say it goes both ways."