Chapter 11.1: The Great Shuffle

---

RAY VAN CAMARO

"I hope everyone back in Gilead will be safe while we're gone," I said to myself as we arrived in Rockbell just minutes before the sun was due to set.

"They'll be fine, Colonel," Kaiser's deep voice assured. "Colonel Fundin and the Lieutenant have additional men. Don't forget that Ilias is a State Jynxist now. If something were to happen, he can hold his own and protect the village in your stead."

"I know that, but being there and seeing that the place is safe makes me calmer."

"You're worrying too much, Sir. The village will be safe in your absence. Nothing has happened to Gilead. Ever."

"That's what worries me the most. Bad things happen when you least expect them. And the white whale suddenly showing up is a bad omen. It's been three thousand years since this continent was divided."

We made our way to Old Man Marcel's inn where we ran into Porco stacking up crates just outside of the tavern. He dropped what he was doing and guided us to the stables, gladly taking our mounts and ushering us inside. He was disappointed that Ilias didn't accompany us.

It took us just over two days to make our way back to Rockbell. There was going to be a thunderstorm tomorrow so it was good we made it into town today.

Old Man Marcel was happy to give us rooms free of charge. All we had to do was sign our names in the guest book.

The innkeeper pointed his pipe at John, who was about to sign his name. "You must be out of your mind if you think you're staying in my inn."

"What can you offer?" I asked.

Private Gama enthusiastically raised a hand. "Let's throw him in jail."

"Not happening. The soldiers loyal to him are there and who knows what they'll plan. He might also get lynched."

Old Man Marcel leaned back in his seat. "The cells are full as well. You can't throw him in there even if you wanted to."

I shook my head. "Other inns won't work, will they?"

"I suggest that you don't try that, Laddie. They're going to be more pissed at him than me. I can control my anger at him, but I can't say the same for the rest of the town."

"I can't have him sit outside in the elements either."

"You can throw him in the stables to sleep with the horses if you want. You can have your lizard there to watch him. And summon your Dolls just in case as well."

"I can't take the risk. He might flee on a horse."

Gama raised his hand again. "Why don't you have him sleep in the pig pen in the back?"

"Gak-gak-gak-gak-gak-gak-gak!" Old Man Marcel guffawed. "I like that idea even better. Throw him in with the pigs!"

"That settles it." I held the door open. "Kaiser, you and I will be taking John to his room. Hendrik, Rudolf, and Gama, I want you three to unpack our stuff and meet us in the tavern. You too, Old Man, we need help with things concerning the trial."

Old Man Marcel simply nodded as all of us got to work.

Kaiser urged John outside where they both followed me to the back.

"Ray, you're not really going to make me sleep with the pigs, are you? They stink and they roll in their feces," John begged. "Can't you make an earth tent for me?"