Chapter 9.3: The Mining Town of Rockbell

---

RAY VAN CAMARO

About two hours after the public announcement from Colonel Armstrong, one of his soldiers visited us at the inn. The sudden visit during the evening caught us off guard, even if it was just an invitation from Armstrong asking us to join him for dinner in his mansion.

   "Colonel Camaro, we're glad to have you back here again," the soldier, Private Willhelm, asked after gathering us into the lobby. "Just one question, when did you arrive?"

   "An hour or so ago. Let's say I miscalculated travel time."

   Kaiser leaned back on his chair, his giant body causing it to creak. "I told him we should've just stayed at Foghorn. He insisted we keep moving."

   "Either way, we're glad to have you back," Private Willhelm said. "There are only five of you this time around. How come?"

   "We were with adventurers last time. Our paths split a while ago."

   Willhelm inspected the sign-in book. "Camaro, Hendrik, Rudolf, Kaiser. That's four. Where's Payne?"

   "In the privy."

   The soldier went to the privy down the hall and opened the door. Ilias was sitting on the toilet with his pants around his ankles, reading from his Talking Book.

   He used his book to cover his crotch. "Uh... may I help you?"

   "Just checking in. Don't mind me." Willhelm closed the door. "Sorry about that."

   "So, we're all invited for dinner?" I asked.

   "Yes. Colonel Armstrong rarely gets visits from the military and he's happy to have your company this time around."

   "What time will dinner be?"

   "In about an hour and a half. The mansion is just outside of the town near the lake. You'll see lights; just follow them. Now excuse me."

   The soldier left the inn, but not without examining the horses in the stables. He took a great interest in Tank before getting on his own steed and leaving the property.

   I knocked on the privy door. "He's gone. You two can come out now."

   Ilias pulled his pants back up, unsummoning Talking Book.

   Private Gama's head slowly rose from the hole in the seat that Ilias had been sitting on. His eyes burned with anger. "If you speak about this to anyone, I'll rip your arms off!" he promised.

    Gama began to climb out and slapped my hand when I tried to help him out. Ilias ended up having to levitate his naked body out of the toilet. He was covered in excrement—the smell coming off of him was putrid.

   Old Man Marcel didn't allow Gama to go straight to the bathhouse so he had to be sprayed down by Ilias just behind the tavern while a group of ladies watched. The private's face blushed a crimson red.

   Once Gama got dressed, I explained his mission: "You're the fastest rider here so I need you to ride ahead to Gilead and inform the colonel regent of the situation here. Tell him to come here with twenty of our soldiers and leave Doria in charge. Then tell her to write to General Clegane on my behalf to send another colonel regent to Gilead along with the most men he can spare. If things play into our hands, this will be taken to court and I'll have to show up in the Capital. Gilead is a two-day ride, but since you're by yourself and if you don't let your horse rest, you'll be there by dawn tomorrow You and reinforcements should be back by the evening. If I send out a letter, follow the letter's orders as the situation here may change."