The world out there

Journal title: Stupid metro

Some metro that turned out to be. It took a whole day to get to diamond city, and it cost me 200 caps! I didn't want to take it, the thought of sitting in the enclosed car scared me, but Codsworth left me no choice. As we entered concord, he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the metro, saying a rad storm was coming. Now I'm not sure what a rad storm was, but "rads" and "storm" don't sound like two words that should ever go together. My fear of getting on the tram was correct. I think...I think being frozen broke something as (a good chance to sleep), I spent the entire ride on the floor, my face buried into dogmeat's fur trying not to cry too loudly, and when the tram finally stopped, I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I was fine inside the metro, but seconds after the tram doors closed, all bets were off.

Deep breath in....Deep breath out, okay

Topside, after a few minutes, I found Diamond city, and hmm. Here's the thing, "diamond city"? It's the damn ballpark. They turned the ballpark into a city. I mean, I guess it makes sense? The large walls, the open space, but god damn. Anyway, when I got there, the entrance now had this massive gate on it, and outside was this woman yelling into a speaker about how

"you can't lock me out I live here!"

From what I understand, she runs a paper, and the Mayor isn't happy with what she's been publishing, so he locked her out...Yikes on trikes. I've always believed in the freedom of the press; keeping people in the dark is why so many... why so many...yea. So when I got closer, she stepped back and said if I wanted in, I just had to play along; her little act wasn't bad. Mayor wasn't happy, but I agree locking her out of publishing the proof was wrong; what a childish way to handle things. When...all of that was done, she said she wanted to speak to me at her place after I told the Mayor I wasn't sure what I was looking for...maybe someone to look at an old kidnapping case. Piper figured out I was from a vault based on my outfit and said

"A vault dweller dealing with a kidnapping? Perfect for an article. Give people a wake-up call" sure... sure.

Journal title: Diamond city is...meh but

The city itself is kind of meh, but I also don't mind it?? I mean, I'm surprised how many houses and shops they managed to cram in here, and I spent all day yesterday just walking around checking the place out. They have everything you'd expect to find in a city from my time. A clothing store, a doctor, a general store, a place to get weapons/food, and even a barber. Oh, mom would be pissed at the last one. She's always doted on my long blonde hair, but I've never been a fan of it, so...It was 20 caps... I pretty much cut it all off and dyed it firetruck red.

I think the whole "ballpark city" would make them madder than my hair, though. We loved to come here and watch the games. It was always an all-day event. There was this one guy, right? I couldn't stop laughing. How much of the old world did the new world know about? I mean, I know they knew about the war...hard not to, but. What was his name... Moe Cronin, I think? He was running a store called swatters...they were baseball bats, and he tried telling me baseball was this bloody ruthless sport...I think he was mixing it up with football...damn; the laugh he gave me is the first real laugh I've had since...thank you for that, I guess.

I've been here, hmm, for about three days now and am running out of caps buying rooms to sleep in and food. I did do that "interview" with piper. She paid me for that and said she'd like to travel to get more stuff for her paper. That's fine, but not right now, I think. My immediate concern is getting a stable supply of food/water and caps. Mainly because I still want to do that whole "start a settlement thing." I know I'm going to need a lot of resources.

So I spent today snatching up every job I could come across. Some sound easier than others. Some I have to put off for as long as I can; why? Because they require me to go into another vault, and I-I don't think I can do that right now. I just...need time.

Journal title: Easy was not easy

I had a lot of jobs that I could do. And I figured I would do them from easiest to most challenging (hardest being one's in vaults). My list was

Find and talk to Nick Valentine

Talk to Abbot at the wall

Work with Vadim to help Travis(dude on the radio)

Get a bloatfly gland for this scientist in town

Clearing out Mass pike tunnel

And finding this dude for someone claiming to be a ghoul(in a fucking vault)

So I figured okay, Valentine/Abbot/Vadim were the easiest that didn't require leaving the city(as I had no food or water provisions) Well, Easy is never easy.

Valentine wasn't there, but his secretary was. She said he's missing but might know where he is... I'm not going, and I'm sure you can guess why. Then was Abbot. He wanted green paint for the wall. That required leaving the city, but thankfully in my hoarding, I had some yellow and blue paint, so I just mixed it right there in front of him. That one was easy. Vadim? That-that was a bitch. So He had this plan to stage a fight for Travis where someone would let Travis beat him up to boost his confidence...not a horrible plan, what went wrong was afterward where Vadim, I guess, refused to pay the guy, so the guy and his "friends" kidnaped Vadim...fucking hell.

I guess they are holding him at the brewery. That's...fine? I can loot it afterward for the bottles; what isn't okay is Travis wanted to come with. Much to my surprise, he held his own, and we got Vadim back to diamond city safe and sound. On the way back, I even managed to grab a bloatfly gland for that scientist.

Journal title: I DIDN'T MEAN TO SHOOT YOU OMG

A little explanation is needed. So I spent a few days in Diamond city. And once I felt I had a good amount of caps and goods, I set out to find if starlight drive-in was still standing. I figured that would be a good spot for my settlement. I did not make it there, though. On my way, I passed through Cambridge(found out the college was still standing, very cool), and I heard a lot of growling, shooting, and a man screaming (in what I now know is pain) before I could decide if I wanted to help, dogmeat and Codsworth took off, so I had no choice but to follow. As I got close, I saw the police station swarmed with....well, ghouls.

One charged at me, and I just shot without thinking. Quickly looking around, I saw one on the top of a bus and shot before I realized, unlike the rest, this one was screaming, "not feral, not fucking feral" sir, I repeat, I am so so sorry I shot you, I-I've never seen a ghoul let alone a feral ghoul, and I just fired. I want to say it was a solid 10 minutes before the "ferals" stopped showing up. I went over to help the guy off the bus and gave him a stimpack, saying over and over how sorry I was.

As I was doing that, this man in power armor came over gun trained on the guy. I asked what the fuck he was doing as the guy wasn't feral. And he (whose name I now know is Danse) said

"That thing like the rest of them should be put down."

Great, another military jackass. I told Danse that I just saved his ass, and he needs to let the man go or else. He did eventually.

"Get the fuck out of here before I change my mind" When the man was gone, Danse turned to me and said I shouldn't trust nonhumans that he could go feral at any minute. But he thanked me for my help and said if I wanted to help more, he'd welcome it, that it would be assisting the Brotherhood of steel. I told him after that display I was going to take a rain check, that if I changed my mind, I would be back and having used most if not damn near all my ammo in that fight, I sighed and headed back to diamond city to restock before trying to run to starlight again.