Violence is the question & the answer is yes

Journal title: Busywork

March 12

I miss the comhub. Communications have slowed to a halt; using broadcasts and letters has never been ideal. It's why my time invented phones. Anyway, I guess until we get my comhub back, I'll just have to rely on the broadcasts to keep up what's going on at the castle and settlements. Danse didn't leave like I thought he would, said that he needed more information for Elder Maxson, and for the time being, he'll keep this between us but will stick with me for "moral support." He pointed out that he knew John was still with us, and having been found out, he came over. Saying that he didn't want to leave me with the tin can, but he heard through the grapevine there was an issue at GoodNeighbor that needed dealing with personally, that if I needed anything to send word for him. I agreed, we hugged (mostly to annoy Danse), and he left... for real this time.

Me, Danse, and dogmeat are making our way back to the prydwen, figuring it'd be best to stay away from the settlements while we wait for word from Adgoran( that gunner dude who I guess is now awol from the gunners). Without me checking up on the settlements, we figure the gunners might feel a bit braver and pull something. Aside from that? My opinion of Danse is still... mostly negative. It's always BOS this, BOS that but... I think he's coming around? Or at least learning. He didn't say anything when John hugged me, and he could not answer a question I gave him.

"if you woke up tomorrow a ghoul, not a feral, just a normal ghoul-like john, would you be okay with being put down like a dog"

He refused to answer, just pointed out that we were close to the prydwen. His silence was all the answer I needed. Back on the warship(i still can't get over how massive this thing is or that they even got the blimp to fly), we were given a lot of busywork. Find out why food was going missing, escort a scribe to the police station, mess hall duty. Boring, boring, boring.

Journal title: Class is in session

March 14

After a few days, they finally made their move. I had two broadcasts this morning. One from John and one from Preston. Prestons simply explained what had happened and where the gunners hit. I guess they felt brave enough to capture one of my settlements, stupid move. After I send out my broadcast responding to John, Danse and I will be heading over to retake it and hopefully find some orders on the people. John's broadcast was just him venting about what's going on at GoodNeighbor. I guess that guy skinny we had a run-in with is now selling chems to kids in town, and Valentine was with John to help find him, though both are dead-end and want me to help when I can... yea, thats going to take a while. I need to worry about the gunners right now and make sure Old paul is okay (I can't believe the geezer is still kicking, let alone running a settlement... well was before the gunners hit it)

Danse finally answered my question... with a question.

"If I did, not that I would want to be put down, but what's stopping me from going feral? All ghouls are just a feral time bomb waiting to go off."

Does the BOS not know how ghouls become feral? I mean, they have to, right? I know how it happens, and I'm "new-ish" to this world; he said no that.

"The BOS knows they all just go feral one day, like flipping a switch."

That...was fun to explain. It took the entire walk to the settlement to explain how it happened. I told him that the process of turning into a ghoul can take months, sometimes years. That it's not an instant process, though the first sign is you no longer get radiation sickness, then your hair thins eventually falling out(though there are exceptions), your voice will become raspy, as the radiation damages your voice box, and your skin starts to dry out and slides off in patches, though quickly being replaced with scar tissue(but sometimes depending on your level of radiation it would just stay as exposed muscle) Lastly(again it varies, this happens to most but not all) things may "fall off" such as your ears and nose. And while you are going through this, your friends and family are forced to watch, unable to help.