[T H I R T E E N]

[Song recommendation: Fire Flies --- Gorillaz]

[Chapter Thirteen]

Y/n looked uneasy. The physical therapist was attaching a brace to her leg, tightening the straps around her thigh. Y/n gripped the metal railing tightly, her knuckles white from the force. All of her weight rested on her right leg, and I could tell she was getting antsy.

"Okay," The man said, stepping back. "Grab both of those railings there and try and take a step for me."

Y/n exhaled shakily. She turned and grabbed the other railing, wedging herself between them. I could see the fear in her eyes as she looked down at her leg. Her eyebrows laced together.

"I-I can't.."

"Yes, you can," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"K-Katuski, I can't," She whimpered. "I'm too scared."

"It's okay, Y/n!" Miyu stepped up beside me. "You can do it! Just take a deep breath, okay?"

She was shaking. She hesitated before she nodded, sucking in a deep breath. She moved her weight from her right leg, shifting onto her left leg as she attempted to take a step forward. However, her leg buckled under her, making her gasp and catch herself.

"It's your hip," The nurse said, stepping up to help her stand up straight. "When you step out, you need to swing your hip out. If you don't the weight will try to go to your tibia. It needs to transfer to your femur. Let's try again."

"I-I don't want to," Y/n shook her head.

"Come on, Y/n," Miyu said. "You gotta try!"

"Try it one more time and then we'll take a break," The nurse said. Y/n glanced at him before nodding.

She stood there for a minute, her face contorting into pain. She shook her head and sunk down onto the floor, extending her braced leg out.

"It hurts," Her voice trembled. "T-Take it off."

"You'll have to get accustomed to it—"

"Take it off!"

Her exclamation surprised all of us. Her hands trembled violently as she began to tear the velco straps off, yanking the brace away from her leg. She hunched over and crossed her arms over her head.

Miyu sighed. She walked to her sister, sinking into a squat in front of her. She reached out and laid a hand on her back.

"Y/n," She said softly. "It's okay. I know you're frustrated, but this is going to take time and practice. You have to learn how to walk again. You're going to have to work with yourself to do this."

"I can't feel anything," Y/n murmured, lifting her head to reveal her solemn gaze. "I can't walk if I can't feel it."

"It'll be alright," I said, grabbing her arms as I pulled her onto her feet. The nurse handed her a pair of crutches. "Just give it time, Y/n. Stop being so impatient."