[T W E N T Y - S E V E N]

[Song recommendation: Visions of Gideon --- Sufjan Stevens]

[Warning: none :)]

[Chapter Twenty-Seven]

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

Power Loader stood at the foot of the cot, his lips tugged in a small frown. Aizawa stood beside him, Recovery Girl across from me. The door to the infirmary was shut, the sign on the outside preventing anyone from entering. I turned my head to my teachers, offering a reassuring smile.

"Positive. I worked out all the kinks and ran more tests than I should have to make sure everything was perfect," I replied.

Power Loader scratched his chin. "I suppose I should trust you then."

Aizawa faced him with a frown. "You're just agreeing with it that easily?"

"Y/n is very throughout about her work," He replied. "If she didn't believe it was safe, she wouldn't risk it. She may be a little stupid when it comes to common sense—"

"Hey!"

"—but she's a brilliant engineer. This is just another one of her experiments. As her teacher, I'm supposed to support her. Though I am wary, I trust that she knows what she's doing."

"Thank you, Sensei," I smiled.

"But if this doesn't work, you're banned from the lab,"

"What!" I exclaimed.

"You spent how long on this?" He asked, resting his hands on the bars at the end of the bed. "You wasted half of my materials and stole half my tools to do this. If it doesn't work, and you did all that for no reason, you're not coming back to the lab. So you better hope it works."

I swallowed hard. "You hear that, A.D.A?"

"Everything is running as it should. Whenever you're ready to insert the chip, Negate."

I exhaled slowly, turning my head back to Recovery Girl. "Okay. Go ahead."

"Are you sure you don't want anything to numb it?" She questioned, hovering the small scalpel over my thigh.

"It would be a waste," I muttered. "Can't feel my leg, remember? Cut here, two and a half centimeters long, and about ten centimeters deep."

"Ten centimeters?" Power Loader frowned further. "Isn't that a bit deep?"

"The chip needs to go directly into the rectus femoris muscle," I said. "It won't work unless it's placed there."

"I've never had someone not squirm when cut by something," Recovery Girl muttered, grabbing the forceps that held the chip. I hadn't even realized she'd already made the incision. "But now isn't the time to start. Be extremely still and relax your leg."