[T W E N T Y - S I X]

[Song recommendation: It's Alright --- Mother Mother]

[Warning: sprinkle of angst]

[Chapter Twenty-Six]

I blinked slowly, the remnants of the streets disappearing around me. Instead, I found myself lying in a bed, staring up at the ceiling. As I began to regain my senses, everything came flashing back to me. I jolted up, snapping my head to the woman beside me.

Kimina retracted her hand from my shoulder, letting it drop to her lap. She was frowning softly. "You with me, kid?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat. My mouth felt dry. "W-What the fuck happened?"

"We got jumped at the old location," She explained as she stood, abandoning the chair she'd pulled beside the bed. "I had to use my quirk. You and Bakugou ended up being affected too. Sorry about that, by the way."

Had she used her quirk? If Katsuki and I were affected...

I looked down at my arm, bringing it from my side. I flexed my hand. No pain. No gash. No broken bones. There wasn't as much as a scratch on me.

I brought my hands to my face as I shakily exhaled, and reality set in. None of that had happened. It was all just an illusion. A figment of my imagination. No one was hurt. No one was dead.

"You're still pretty dazed," She muttered, her emerald eyes flashing over my face. "You want something to drink...or...something? Are you okay?"

I rubbed my hands over my face before raking them through my hair, taking deep breaths as I tried to even out my breathing. I could feel the hair sticking to the nape of my neck, cringing at how clammy my skin was. How long had I been out of it? Was I even conscious then? I felt like I was coming off an anesthetic.

"Yeah," I said quietly. "Just freaked out."

She rubbed the back of her neck, averting her gaze. "I'm sorry. I don't like using my quirk in large quantities like that, but I didn't have a choice. I didn't want To—Dabi to light the place on fire. It would have just attracted more attention that we didn't need."

"Where are we?" I asked, folding my right leg under me.

"A safe house," She replied. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I ran my eyes across her face. "You're the opposite of him, aren't you?"

Kimina's shoulders relaxed. "Isn't that how it's supposed to be? You know what they say; opposites attract. You're nothing like your hothead, either."

"Rin!"

She turned her head to the cracked door. "What?"

"Come fucking snap this idiot out of this before I break his goddamn neck!" Dabi's voice came from down the hall. Kimina rolled her eyes and turned to the door but paused when I called out to her.