Peace In Your Silence [Iochi Mari]

Deep breath.

Exhale.

Silence.

Nothing but utter silence as you kept repeating the same action for quite some time now. You closed your eyes as you gathered your thoughts amidst the silence of the cathedral. The moving sunlight through the windows did little to distract you.

But something else easily did.

You twitched a little, hearing a set of oncoming footsteps from behind. A set of light and frequent footsteps. At first, you mused about who could it be. But then, that waft of fragrance hit you, causing a small smile to appear on your face.

The smell of a white lily.

"Sister Mari." You said without opening your eyes as the footsteps stopped beside you. You glanced toward her a little, seeing that she has a small pout on her face. "Sensei." She huffed, by now used to your little banter and teasings.

The orange-haired Sister sat down beside you as you fully opened your eyes. Though you regard her as one of the sisters in Trinity already, the girl herself seemed to think that she still has a long way to go. Such a good girl.

"Am I disturbing you, Sensei?" She asked. "Hm? Ah, no." You faced forward. "It's better now that you're here." You teased her. You didn't even need to give her a side look to know how she reacted to that. "It's a joke."

She huffed exasperatedly, causing you to chuckle. "While you're here, let me pray for you, Sensei." She smiled as she began praying in earnest. "No, I..." You were about to say something, but she already fell into silence.

You weren't such a pious person and she knew it. The reason why you frequented the cathedral was to find your solemn peace in the silence. Had she not approached you that day, you would've never started praying. 

But even if hell froze over, you would've never forgotten how she would still earnestly pray for your peace and happiness.

Your eyes glanced over to her, seeing that she was praying with that peaceful expression. Your heart ached, for it did not feel right for you to pray now. And yet, for the earnest and hardworking girl beside you... you begged the Gods above to hear this simple prayer you put your heart and mind into.

'Please... let her be the happiest girl in the world.'

She opened her eyes just as you finished your prayer. "May peace and happiness be with you wherever you go, Sensei." She muttered as you turned to her. "You stole my line, Sister." You half-grinned.

"Hah, Sensei, I've told you this many times already, but I do think that I still have a long way to go..." She huffed as you stood up. "Heh, is that so... I see you as the best Sister already." You lightly patted her on the head.

"S-Sensei...!" She stuttered as she also stood up with you.