The Burden We Carry [Joumae Saori]

She was resting her back on a decrepit wall in a desolate building. Scratches and wounds littered her body and her clothes were torn here and there. You could feel the color drain on your face as your heart dropped to your stomach.

Your forehead was creased with a heavy frown upon the sight lying before you. "Saori..." You mumbled her name, catching her attention as you got out of the shade of shadow. "Ah... Sensei..." She whispered weakly, holding her arms with a pained expression. The look on her face deepened your frown even further.

How could a man stand to see the one who's dear to him in pain?

"You are hurt." You stated as you steeled yourself, bringing yourself closer to Saori and kneeling before her. "I am fine, Sensei..." She replied, the same as always. "I am used to pain." She said the same word of reassurance as always. How many times have you gone through this similar scenario again?

"I know..." You mumbled weakly. "But I'm not and will never be..." You took out the small medkit you stowed in your suit's pocket. She hissed in pain as you began your treatment on her immediate wound. Luckily, nothing too serious or life-threatening. Some alcohol solution here and a few bandages there and she should be alright.

You sighed as you finished your treatment. "Ah, thank you, Sensei." She said as she put down her mask and hat, revealing her face dirtied with soot. "I am once again indebted to you." She continued as you sat beside her, running your thumb gently on her face and clearing the dust and dirt. She closed a single eye as she looked at you curiously.

"Mhm, don't mention it." You could only hum and answer, the same as always. You let out a weak smile and sat right beside her. She let out a satisfied hum, pressing her shoulder to yours. You let out a yearning sigh as you felt her warmth close to you. "Ah, Sensei?" She questioned your motion as you gently brought her head down to your shoulder.

She froze for a moment at your touch, surprised by the sudden gentleness. When all you knew was violence, warmth would certainly feel foreign and alien. "Just for a little bit, Saori." You mumbled, caressing her hair gently with a smile. You could see her shift, trying to evade tender moments such as this, but her fatigue must've been quickly catching up.

"Thank... you." She mumbled as she closed her eyes, lulled into sleep in a matter of a few minutes. You let out another sigh and a weak smile, gently nudging strands of deep blue hair from her face. You held your temple in silent annoyance, letting out a burning sigh.

This girl was Joumae Saori, the leader of the infamous Arius Squad.

After the event of the Eden Treaty, she split up with the rest of the squad. The reason was that she wanted to know how the world truly worked. She, and the rest of her squad, had been indoctrinated with Arius' teachings, so that was all they had ever known.

And the second reason... she needed money for herself and her squad. That's why she was working her best in the Black Market. She had been duped, scammed, and tricked in the underworld... but despite everything, she still held on.

"You are... truly strong, Saori." You gently whispered as she shifted in her sleep. Her light breathing filled the silence of the desolate building as you let out a warm smile. Seeing her so calm and peaceful like this... made her look like she was the slumbering princess.