The Masks of Venice Caper

VILE HQ

Cleo: What have we become? I never fathomed that we could be capable of such excess.

Brunt: New neighborhood, didn't know how many trick-or-treaters to expect.

Maelstrom: We are occupying a secret base, Coach Brunt. What made you think we would expect any?

Cleo: Ugh. And was it worth making ourselves sick?

Bellum: If you come across any with nougat, do put them aside for me.

Maelstrom: Now, my candy-coated Countess, after last night's bayou fiasco, we are looking forward to your mask-themed scheme.

Cleo: The assigned operatives are preparing to rendezvous as we speak, and I shall provide all pertinent details... Hmm, right after one last little morsel.

(Transition to the Bat Plane)

Carmen: You smack down VILE in one part of the world, and they pop up in another.

Lincoln: It's a never ending game of Wack-A-Mole. Love the game, not this version.

Player: In this case, Venice, Italy. The entire city is constructed on 118 small islands, separated by canals and connected by something like 400 bridges. It's completely surrounded by water.

Carmen: That's why you'll never see an automobile in Venice, Player. Everyone either walks or rides in boats.

Player: Check it out! Venice has an annual event called Carnevale, where people wear elaborate costumes and masks.

Carmen: A shame we're here in fall rather than spring. The masks and costumes of Carnevale di Venezia can be molto bello, as they say in Italy, "very beautiful."

Player: Whoa. Looks like they can also be molto creepy. But since VILE's managed to mask the particulars of their plan this time around, I thought you might want to do recon by touring the city's canals with old friends.

(Carmen, Lincoln, Zack, Ivy and Shadowsan are on a boat traveling through the canals.

Shadowsan: I am sorry that your quest to find your mother has been sidelined by business as usual.

Carmen:It was entirely my choice. Besides, the more good people I manage to meet in this crazy world, the more I'm reminded that family comes in many forms.

Shadowsan: I, for one, cannot argue with your sentiment.

Lincoln: Agreed

(Chief's hologram is standing on the stairs to a plane addressing Chase.)

Chief: Agent Devineaux, since your first solo outing wasn't exactly a rousing success, I'm assigning you a new partner.

Chase: Hopefully, someone who will not slow me down. Agent Zari, bonjour.

Zari: Chief. Agent Devineaux.

Chief: Better make that Buongiorno. You're both headed for Venice, Italy, which our Crime-Net technology has pinpointed as Carmen Sandiego's current location. Find out what she's targeting and report back.