Chapter 11- Astraea

a couple of hours earlier

I scroll through my phone as I walk home, bored after a long day at school. I hadn't been to a tutoring session in three days because the first one almost made me strangle LeRoy from how much stress it put me through but I promised to meet him again tomorrow after Loki practically lectured me like a parent.

I stuff my phone in my pocket, my hands suddenly cold as the wind blows in different directions and I tighten the hoodie over my head. Lucas had offered to bring me home but I didn't feel like waiting until he was done with practice and I hated catching the bus with other people, it put me on edge and made me feel violent.

My eyes roam over the street lazily, shivering as the wind get harsher. I catch sight of woods that I hadn't ever paid attention to until now, I don't bother getting closer-instead I keep walking towards the direction I'm supposed to be going since Jamie made it clear I was supposed to come directly home today. My foster parents had been on my case alot lately after my foster dad-Gabriel had seen the marks on my thigh.

They had suggested a psychologist and I when I had refused, it made them alert. I couldn't do anything without having eyes on me all the time and it fucking sucked. I felt like I was trapped but I didn't want to see a shrink, they'd tell me I was psychotic or suicidal and shove pills down my throat to stop the harmful urges.

When I was thirteen, the shrink I was seeing had diagnosed me with antisocial personality disorder along with psychosis after I had beat a kid my age with a single rock. He had been bullying me and calling me all types of names but he had finally grown a pair and decided to touch me when I lost it. I saw red and made sure I left my mark so the next time he saw me, he'd run for the hills. It wasn't until I had mental breakdown right after and started hearing shit that wasn't real, my brain had tricked me into thinking everyone was trying to hurt me did they actually confirm it.

I had trouble figuring out what was real and what wasn't so instead of confusing myself, I decided everyone in this world was a fucking fake and I was right.

My mind was a dark place but those fucking shrinks and medications made it worse. I felt like I was being trapped, like I couldn't fucking breathe so I started to pretend. I learned to fit in and copy good behavior. I made sure everyone thought I was a perfect little princess instead of the monster that hid under their beds at night. I learned and learned until I perfected it, until nobody saw the crazy but me.

I knew something was wrong with me, I wasn't stupid. I knew at age thirteen, that I shouldn't have been having the urges to set all my classmates on fire. I shouldn't have had urges to hurt myself in order to feel something, I was defective.

Maybe that's why my parents didn't want me.

I pause on my feet when a loud cry reaches my ears. My brows furrow in confusion, eyes finding those woods again when I hear it again. Goosebumps rise along the skin of my arms as I cross the street without hesitation, maybe it wasn't the smartest idea but what if someone needed help? I wasn't a complete monster, some of my heart was still there and it cared despite not wanting too.