Chapter 17- Astraea

I'm in class today for the first time in a couple of weeks

I'm in class today for the first time in a couple of weeks. I felt unreal as I pushed forward to live a normal a life when I was anything but fucking normal.

The girl next to me kept tapping her pencil in boredom and it made me want to shove it down her throat from how annoyed I was. She must've noticed it because her eyes started to crinkle, thinking it was funny, "Keep doing it," I whisper to her, leaning in so she can hear me better. "I'm going to stab you in the eye and ruin that pretty face." I threaten, a sneer on my face.

She stops instantly, her face flushing before she faces the front. My eyes move back over to my phone, staring hard at the messages I received from Matias. He had been blowing up my phone ever since what happened and I had ignored them all but something kept screaming at me to respond to him, to hear him out.

My phone vibrates in my hand, notifying me that I have another message. My brows furrow at the unknown sender before opening it, shivers running up and down my spine when I see a video of me. It wasn't just a regular video. It was a video of me swinging the bat down on Neena's body multiple times. I hadn't realized someone was watching me, I had blacked out and wasn't aware of my surroundings.

The message on the bottom was what had my heart racing.

'You'll pay for that :)' It said.

My ears ring for a moment as my brain tries to puzzle everything together, I knew who this was. My biological mother was looking for me—or it seems she had already found me. Fear was uncommon for me but I couldn't help the feeling that I felt now as I stared down at the messages.

She was coming for me whether I liked it or not.

"Off your phone." A voice whispers in my ear and I flinch, my head snapping up at the unknown voice.

It was a women with the greenest eyes I've ever seen, she was beautiful. She had the darkest hair and the softest fair skin with light freckles that sprinkled against her skin. Her dead eyes burned into my skin in a way that had me sitting up in alert, she felt familiar in a horrible way.

A small smirk crawls up her face before she walks away from me and takes her position in front of the class but even as she stands up there, her eyes come right back to me with a stare I see everyday.

It's the same look I see every time I look in the mirror.

"Hello." She says softly, her voice so gentle it draws you to her. "I'm Edith," My heart stops, "Your teacher asked me to substitute for the last hour, he had to run to the office for a meeting." She explains, offering a kind smile.